Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Re: iMac Pro and Pro Tools Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
Hmmm I ordered one but do not have a Pro tools subscription and then this:
http://www.avidblogs.com/avid-pro-to...ed-to-perform/

Now I guess I need to pop another $300 for a new tune machine
From that article:
"If you’re looking to produce music with tons of virtual instruments, or need more EQ, compression, and effects on your sub mixes, compare the power that the new iMac Pro delivers over the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display (2017) with Core i7 processor:

Run up to 36% more plug-ins on an iMac Pro 8-Core model
Run up to 62% more plug-ins on an iMac Pro 10-Core model"
To be honest, "36% more plug-ins" than an i7 iMac -- which is half the price -- doesn't seem like that big of a deal for $5K. That's not Avid's fault, but it sure seems like the iMac Pro was mostly geared toward video production.

I hope the iMac Pros at least don't suffer from the crazy fan noise that the i7s do. I've an i5 that is dead silent at all times. I'd love to get an i7, but the fan noise is too much of an issue.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 PM

You can read the article at AVID blogs, they have been tuning 12.8.3 for High Sierra and an iMac Pro.

from the article:
Avid Pro Tools has long been the industry-standard DAW for audio production, empowering professionals and aspiring pros to create music, as well as sound for picture, with speed and ease. And now, it’s tuned to perform on the new Apple iMac Pro. We know that being on the cutting edge of technology is important to you. That’s why we’ve been working closely with Apple to make sure Pro Tools is the most powerful, efficient, and integrated DAW available. Now, you can do more and create bigger sounding productions even when your customers have increased audio demands.

With the introduction of the new iMac Pro, Apple continues to deliver high performance and excellence. Avid Pro Tools users will enjoy a significant boost in playback performance along with the ability to use more native AAX plug-ins within a session than ever before.

If you’re looking to produce music with tons of virtual instruments, or need more EQ, compression, and effects on your sub mixes, compare the power that the new iMac Pro delivers over the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display (2017) with Core i7 processor:

Run up to 62% more plug-ins on an iMac Pro 10-Core model

Over the last few months, Avid’s Pro Tools team has been working closely with Apple to ensure that Pro Tools 12.8.3 performs smoothly, reliably, and effectively on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. We think you’ll be pleased with the results of our collaboration and the impact the new technology will have on your workflows and productivity.

I put an iMac Pro 10-core on order this last week end but I am 12.5 without a subscription. Felt no need to pay $99 the last two years.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
You can read the article at AVID blogs, they have been tuning 12.8.3 for High Sierra and an iMac Pro.

from the article:
Avid Pro Tools has long been the industry-standard DAW for audio production, empowering professionals and aspiring pros to create music, as well as sound for picture, with speed and ease. And now, it’s tuned to perform on the new Apple iMac Pro. We know that being on the cutting edge of technology is important to you. That’s why we’ve been working closely with Apple to make sure Pro Tools is the most powerful, efficient, and integrated DAW available. Now, you can do more and create bigger sounding productions even when your customers have increased audio demands.

With the introduction of the new iMac Pro, Apple continues to deliver high performance and excellence. Avid Pro Tools users will enjoy a significant boost in playback performance along with the ability to use more native AAX plug-ins within a session than ever before.

If you’re looking to produce music with tons of virtual instruments, or need more EQ, compression, and effects on your sub mixes, compare the power that the new iMac Pro delivers over the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display (2017) with Core i7 processor:

Run up to 62% more plug-ins on an iMac Pro 10-Core model

Over the last few months, Avid’s Pro Tools team has been working closely with Apple to ensure that Pro Tools 12.8.3 performs smoothly, reliably, and effectively on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. We think you’ll be pleased with the results of our collaboration and the impact the new technology will have on your workflows and productivity.

I put an iMac Pro 10-core on order this last week end but I am 12.5 without a subscription. Felt no need to pay $99 the last two years.
Well, the good news is that if you can afford an iMac Pro, the "reinstatement" fee for PT is probably peanuts by comparison.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Customize your 27‑inch iMac with Retina 5K display.
Add To Favorites
4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
32GB 2400MHz DDR4
1TB SSD
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2
Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English

$3518.00
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Well, the good news is that if you can afford an iMac Pro, the "reinstatement" fee for PT is probably peanuts by comparison.
Yeah, thanks for the symphony I mean sympathy :)
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM

https://blog.macsales.com/43267-owc-...grade-programs
Old 12-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks for this; I like that OWC says for the time being that there's no cost benefit to going third party for ram upgrades. Also a bit surprised the boot time for the one machine a fellow tested was 40 seconds - that is slow. My 5,1 cheesegrater with 1 TB ssd in the regular drive bay averages less than 30 seconds from push on the power button to fully usable desktop (10-15 seconds until I get the pong and then another 15 seconds to a usable desktop). This with OSX 10.10.5

QAPLA!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 PM

Really?

My Mac Mini and MacBook Air both boot in under 10 secs.

That's REALLY slow. Where did you see that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk