Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Serious recording bug in 6.4!!!

Hey there!

I just discovered a serious bug in 6.4:

I was just recording a guitar (Les Paul to AD into 002 and amplitube as insert FX) for quite some time.
After some minutes all of a sudden there was only white noise on the track whenever I hit play.
Even though there´s a waveform displayed there´s no audible information except the white noise...
I tried everything but the only thing that helped was deleting the recorded file and restarting PT.

Has anyone experienced the same bug??? ... or is it a feature???

Greets from a confused Markus
Old 05-14-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Serious recording bug in 6.4!!!

Did you try accessing the file outside of PT to see if you heard a clean gtr? Also, maybe it was the plugin. Did you try removing it and playing, or replacing it and playing back the track??
Old 05-14-2004, 05:13 PM

Hi!

Outside of PT the file was ok.
But with or without the plug PT only plays back the white noise.

Anybody from DIGI?
Can you reconstruct this happening?

BTW
System: 002 on G4 Dual 1,25 with 1 GB RAM running on OS X 3.2

Greets

Markus
Old 05-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Avid

Hi,

The next time this happens select the problem region. Go to the audio menu above the audio bin where your region names are listed and select Recalculate Waveform Overviews. If the waveform to in the edit window changes it means the file is corrupt. This could point to an issue with a hard disk. Definitely something to keep an eye on. If it happens again try the above and let us know what you find.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 05-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Hi there!

Thanks for the info. I´ll try that.

Just a few minutes ago a friend told me, he had the same error on an mBox/windows system:
Recording a track and getting white noise at playback. He reduced the cpu usage limit. That did the trick for him.
But I can´t imagine what the cpu usage has to do with the recording/playback of files. BTW the error occured in a session with almost nothing going on: 6 audio tracks with a BF76 and an amplitube...

I´ll post more info´s when I get back on the system tomorrow.

Greets

Markus
Old 05-14-2004, 09:37 PM

I have had the same problem. Mine was with a mic input. I was recording vocals, and the waveform looked okay, but when I played it back, it just came back as white noise. Interestingly enough, when I ran a fade on the file, I could see the white noise where the fade was.

I restarted my computer and it went away.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:58 AM

Interessting!

So it´s really a damaged file, but what about the correct wavform display (before the fade action)?

Greets

Markus
Old 05-15-2004, 11:19 PM

Quote:
The next time this happens select the problem region. Go to the audio menu above the audio bin where your region names are listed and select Recalculate Waveform Overviews. If the waveform to in the edit window changes it means the file is corrupt. This could point to an issue with a hard disk. Definitely something to keep an eye on. If it happens again try the above and let us know what you find.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support

Translation:

Quote:
"We really don't have a clue what's going on here, but even though you're not the only person this has happened to, we're just going to blame it on your hardware and go talk about The Sopranos all day instead of actually trying to fix the problem."
Why don't you ask him about his system, Digi? Why don't you have him send over the session and audio file so you can analyze it? You know it's an issue for more than just one person, so why don't you use this guy as a guinea pig to figure out what's wrong?
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 05-16-2004, 06:07 AM

I have a five-day spoken word session coming up where I have to use my PB/Magma/001 system. I have installed 6.4, and so far it's been working perfectly, but on the other hand I haven't had time to really test it extensively. Now I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea to revert back to 6.2.3. It's basically very simple, one track/one mic/one voice, but it's for a major publisher and I'd hate to end up withe 5 days of white noise.
Any thoughts?

Edwardo
Old 05-17-2004, 12:24 AM

Hi there!

It just happened again.

This time, the file wasn´t even accessable outside of PT.

Quote:
The next time this happens select the problem region ... and select Recalculate Waveform Overviews. If the waveform to in the edit window changes it means the file is corrupt.
after trying that the waveform was a one big block... showing the white noise.

I really don´t think that it´s a hard disc error becuase I had this thing happen on three different audio drives that work well at all other tasks. Also I had this bug on my G4 laptop, too.

Please try and fix this fast. It´s really driving me insane!

I hope DIGI will get back here soon and comment on this.

Thanks

Markus