Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-08-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: PTLE 6.4 - CAN\'T BOUNCE TO DISK! ...help...

Quote:
When I have this problem bouncing a seven+ minute song, it could take up to an hour of experimenting to acheive a bounce. This is because the error comes during the very end of the bounce- conversion or not.

The bounce I'm having trouble with is 9 minutes long. I cut it in half and both halves are fine, so Digi's "your stuff is corrupted" excuse is a load of crap.

I tried the previously mentioned tip about adding some dead air at the end and it worked. I added maybe 10-30 seconds at the front and back and it bounced fine. Total pain in the ass to think that I have to use another app to cut that out EVERY TIME I BOUNCE, but at least I'm bouncing again.

DIGI, FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD!
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 05-08-2004, 04:38 PM

I just tried a bounce on my PowerBook (I usually use my PC), using a copy of the 'Be There' demo from the PC disk, converted to 24/48 mac compatible. It's a bunch of tracks and edits, and few (or none) plugins. Session plays fine on my 1.5Ghz PowerBook with 512M RAM, using the builtin hard drive.

Got various errors about buffer size and CPU setting attempting to bounce to stereo interleaved 44.1 16 bits, with convert during bounce.Changed to 'convert after bounce', bounced successfully at buffer 512, CPU 85%.

Here's the interesting part. While simply playing the session, ProTools' CPU meter is down at about 10-20%, and Mac's concept of PT CPU utilization (using 'top' in a terminal window) is about 60-80%.

But, during the bounce, top reports PT is using ALL available CPU. Bouncing shouldn't take up much extra CPU, which can be demonstrated by bouncing to a new stereo track on the same session.

This is exactly the symptom on Windows in 6.1 and 6.1.1, before the Bounce To Disk bug was fixed in 6.4 for Windows.

PTLE on PC and Mac may both say 6.4, and be similar in features, but in this case, I think they've got a Mac bug that they already fixed in the Windows version.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:13 AM

This problem is Killing me too. Does any one know if its been fixed.

Kron
Old 06-17-2004, 06:19 AM

For me it seems to be enough to select 2-3 seconds empty after the last region. I haven't had time to confirm how much is enough because of huge production pressure.
So far this has been the only solution to bounce to disc, and I have tried all suggestions I have found from this forum but none other has halped so far.
I only have this "FF_AudioProperty.cpp", line 33. problem with my Powerbook setup. My colleague's exactly same setup is bouncing fine. Also my desktop G4 with 10.3.4 and PT 6.4 works just fine.

17" Powerbook 1G RAM
Digi002+Mbox
PT 6.4
Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 PM

Ya, I'm having the same problem, PB G4 15.2, 7200 Maxtor FW drive, had to re-bounce every song in a mastering session, so the session took more than twice as long as it should have. Man, what a drag... I only fix the problem by selecting extra time after (and a little before) the bounce, but it's different every time. Not dealing with crap like this was why I switched to Mac - anyway, it's not a corruption issue, for sure. It's happened on too many otherwise sound sessions, and once I bounce, the audio totally works. I gotta say I find it pretty unacceptable.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Avid

Hi all. Tech support is currently working with engineering to solve this assertion bounce error.
Can anyone tell me : If you are bouncing and converting a file (either during or after) that throws the error, can you bounce the file successfully with no conversion at all ?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 PM

I have had problems with bouncing and just stopping half way through 30 minute sessions. This is radio work and I bounce very simple 30 minute three track sessions. this last week I opened activity monitor and closed a few background programs such as something from HP for my printer and it bounced fine. I will say that bouncing has been the biggest problem I have ever had with Pro Tools all the way back to the time I started with Win98 and PT FREE. I will say that PR 5.2 in OS 9 was rock solid. Also, when I first upgraded to Panther and 6.2 I had no more bounce problems but then I started having them again with 6.4 but like I said, this was not a problem this past week.
Just FYI, I bounce a three track 16/44 session with no realtime plugs and just a little bit of volume automation.
I would get CPU overload messages of all things, not something you should get on a three track session without plugs. I have run 16 track 24/48 sessions without problems before so I know my computer isn't slow. Anyway, seems like I had a different problem than the rest of you are having.
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 AM

There doesn't seem to be any difference if i'm converting after bounce or during the bounce. I also tested today different file formats bounced from wav 44.1 16 bit session to wav, aiff or SDII. I only had time to test bouncing to 44.1 khz 16 bit but I'll try to convert to other formats later also. There seemed to be a difference in how bouncing didn't succeed. Sometimes I got the error message "FF_AudioProperty.cpp," and sometimes nothing seemed to happen and the bounced file never appeared. This didn't seem to have anything to do with the file format. I tried to bounce exactly same file two or three times in a row with exactly the same settings and sometimes the error message appeared and sometimes the conversion progress bar would flash very quickly but no file would be created.

1Ghz powerbook 17"
1G Ram
DIGI002+ PT6.4+Reason 2.5
Mac OS 10.3.4
Old 07-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Avid

Hi. Thanks for the replies. All I really need to know is : if a bounce with an SR conversion throws the assertion line 33 error, will the file bounce successfully with no conversion at all ? That is to say, no conversion either during the bounce or after. That's what we really need to know right now. System profile info is also very welcome. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:36 PM

Now this is strange! I made a bouncing test this morning with a session that wouldn't bouce. First I activated a region to bounce with conversion (from SDII 44.1 24 bit to wav 16bit stereo interleaved) and it didn't give me error message, but it didn't create a new file either. A new try with same settings and error message appeared with no bounced file.
Then I tried bouncing with no conversion and first try didn't give error message and the bounced file was also missing. The second bounce of the same region without conversion worked as it should. I tried bouncing the file 3 to 4 times just giving it a different name , and it always bounced as it should.
Then after a couple of bounces with no conversion I tried to bounce with conversion again (from SDII 44.1 24 bit to wav 16bit stereo interleaved) and it did convert the file! Every bounce of the same file with convesion worked!

17" powerbook 1 Ghz 1 G Ram
Mac OS 10.3.4
PT LE 6.4 + DIGI002+Digidrive 80G
Reason 2.5