Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 AM

Default How well is 'Waves Licence centre' working?

I'm looking to buy a waves bundle, but am a tiny bit confused. A few questions for those that have it up & running.

* Is iLok now not an option, even if you want it ?

* Does the USB authorisation stick need to be left plugged in, or can the computer be authorised without it? (i'd rather not use up the only remaining port on my laptop with a second dongle)

* If the computer itself can be authorised , what happens if you computer is stolen, or the hard drive needs wiping etc?

cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 AM

Default Re: How well is 'Waves Licence centre' working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Is iLok now not an option, even if you want it?
No, but you can store the license on your own USb stick if you don't like hard drive auths.

Quote:
Does the USB authorisation stick need to be left plugged in, or can the computer be authorised without it? (i'd rather not use up the only remaining port on my laptop with a second dongle)
No, that is the whole purpose of a dongle to have it sitting there.

Quote:
If the computer itself can be authorised, what happens if you computer is stolen, or the hard drive needs wiping etc?
If you just need to wipe the hard drive, you send the license back to Waves License Cloud and re-download it once you've re-installed.

If your computer is stolen, you can reclaim the licenses from Waves License Cloud -- but you can only do this once a year.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a waves bundle, but am a tiny bit confused. A few questions for those that have it up & running.

* Does the USB authorisation stick need to be left plugged in, or can the computer be authorised without it? (i'd rather not use up the only remaining port on my laptop with a second dongle)

* If the computer itself can be authorised , what happens if you computer is stolen, or the hard drive needs wiping etc?

cheers
iLok is not an option. The authorization stick needs to be plugged in IF you use that method. You can use the other method of authorizing to the computer but you can't have both methods in use. I authorized to the computer. Not sure what to do about your last item though.

Do be aware that the Waveshell that downloads with the package might not be the latest one that supports aax; that might be a separate download as it was for me.

QAPLA!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

If you just need to wipe the hard drive, you send the license back to Waves License Cloud and re-download it once you've re-installed.

If your computer is stolen, you can reclaim the licenses from Waves License Cloud -- but you can only do this once a year.

Ok, what if your hard-drive just *dies* (it's happened to me), before you get a chance to de-authorise? Or you lose your USB stick?

Do both scenarios count the same as your computer being stolen?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:

cheers
Ilok is not used in V9, just Waves License Center and you can authorize either your computer or usb sticks. If you're WUPed, you can recover licenses easily:

–---
"Waves License Center offers you a simple way to recover licenses for lost, stolen, or damaged USB flash drives or computers. Launch Waves License Center and log in using your Waves account information.
On the top menu, choose Recover Licenses.
On the left panel, click on the lost / stolen / damaged device.
Under Select Licenses, choose the license/s to recover.
Under Select Destination, choose your computer or USB flash drive.
Click Recover Licenses.
Your Waves licenses are now recovered."
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
Ilok is not used in V9, just Waves License Center and you can authorize either your computer or usb sticks. If you're WUPed, you can recover licenses easily:

–---
"Waves License Center offers you a simple way to recover licenses for lost, stolen, or damaged USB flash drives or computers. Launch Waves License Center and log in using your Waves account information.
On the top menu, choose Recover Licenses.
On the left panel, click on the lost / stolen / damaged device.
Under Select Licenses, choose the license/s to recover.
Under Select Destination, choose your computer or USB flash drive.
Click Recover Licenses.
Your Waves licenses are now recovered."
Oh ok, so no biggie if you lose the USB stick?

Just log in from anywhere, de-authorise that stick/hard-drive, & make another one? Really that simple?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Oh ok, so no biggie if you lose the USB stick?

Just log in from anywhere, de-authorise that stick/hard-drive, & make another one? Really that simple?

That's what they wrote, I never needed this kind of support and hopefully never will. :)
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
That's what they wrote, I never needed this kind of support and hopefully never will. :)
mm…anyone tried this? Sounds too painless to be true

Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
mm…anyone tried this? Sounds too painless to be true

I think even if your WUP is up to date, you can only do it once per year.

Another thing to be aware of, if you choose to authorise the computer / HD, rather than a USB stick, is that you must never disable your internet network connection, or your authorisations will fail to work, and you will have to re-sync to the cloud using the exact same means you used originally.

In other words, if you originally synced your laptop using a WiFi connection, you have to have that WiFi adaptor permanently enabled (though perhaps not necessarily connected to the internet) when Pro Tools is running.

If you originally synced via a hard wired cable connection, and you subsequently launch Pro Tools with an active WiFi connection, it will again screw the authorisations, and you will need to re-sync via the hard wired cable connection.

In short, sync via one method, and don't launch Pro Tools with the other method in play.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Carl,

I have never heard of what you just posted. Granted, I've only used WLC via one and the same wifi connection, but that should not matter as internet traffic is just packages sent and received.

I'm on the road now but will definitely test this next week. Should be enough to close wifi and resync via ethernet to prove you wrong (or learn somerhing new, either way a small win for me)...

Ru_C,

Waves has officially stated that you can recover your licences once a year if you have trouble. You must have your WUP active when you need such support, and if you later find that lost stick and resync, the time will be reset as if it never happened.