Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-29-2018, 05:42 PM

Default I am new here and asking for some help

Hello and thank you to anyone who responds as I greatly appreciate it.
I am running PT 11.3.2 Yosemite 10.10 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
My interface is an Apollo 8p. I am an old school producer who in the past, made edits with a razor, a grease pencil and a block.. I am not good with or understand much about computers at all.. Just fair warning, even though it is embarrassing.

My issue is PT locking up when i highlight and expand a region horizontally to edit. I am using an apple mouse, swiping my finger horizontally to get from one place in the session to the next. I started slowly and is progressively worse until now it wont even fee itself enough to force quit PT.. I'm exhausted trying to figure it out.. Can someone help?
Thank you so much.
I should add that i have a dual monitor set up and when this happens my screen display changes on one or both monitors..
Old 04-29-2018, 06:39 PM

Default Re: I am new here and asking for some help

I feel as though I may have made a break through that I dont quite understand. My second monitor is a 48 tv connected with a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.. If I reboot the computer without the adapter being plugged in.. I cant get PT to crash no matter how hard I scroll throught the session with my mouse. I can even plug the adapter back in after it is launched and I'm still solid and the second monitor works.. However, when I restart the computer while the adapter is in, that is when it all locks up... why??
Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 AM

A little more system info would be nice like:
What specific Yosemite version do you have? OSX 10.10.5 works perfectly fine here. And worked fine when I had the iMac that's listed on my profile page.
Which specific iMac do you have? I'm confused with what you write as the 3.4 GHz cpu is an i7
What video card is in your iMac? There are three models available and the low end 512 MB version may not have enough video memory to work correctly in a dual display setup.

Lastly ditch that Apple rodent and get a real mouse, preferably a wired one. IMO Apple never made a decent workable rodent.

QAPLA!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
A little more system info would be nice like:
What specific Yosemite version do you have? OSX 10.10.5 works perfectly fine here. And worked fine when I had the iMac that's listed on my profile page.
Which specific iMac do you have? I'm confused with what you write as the 3.4 GHz cpu is an i7
What video card is in your iMac? There are three models available and the low end 512 MB version may not have enough video memory to work correctly in a dual display setup.

Lastly ditch that Apple rodent and get a real mouse, preferably a wired one. IMO Apple never made a decent workable rodent.
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. As I said in my intial post, I
m running yosemite 10.10 my graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
the info i provided was taken directly from, ABOUT THIS MAC

I am running PT 11.3.2 Yosemite 10.10 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
My interface is an Apollo 8p. I am an old school producer who in the past, made edits with a razor, a grease pencil and a block.. I am not good with or understand much about computers at all.. Just fair warning, even though it is embarrassing.

My issue is PT locking up when i highlight and expand a region horizontally to edit. I am using an apple mouse, swiping my finger horizontally to get from one place in the session to the next. I started slowly and is progressively worse until now it wont even fee itself enough to force quit PT.. I'm exhausted trying to figure it out.. Can someone help?
Thank you so much.
I should add that i have a dual monitor set up and when this happens my screen display changes on one or both monitors..
Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 AM

My imac is a 27 inch late 2013 model.. If that helps..As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding computers.. My apologies
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordelt View Post
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. As I said in my intial post, Im running yosemite 10.10 my graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
the info i provided was taken directly from, ABOUT THIS MAC

Thank you so much.
You don't have to repeat stuff that was said in your first post.
I understand you're running Yosemite but what exact revision? There is a single digit after the second 10. For example I am running Yosemite OSX 10.10.5 - it's that last digit I'd like to know.

Also like I said ditch that Apple mouse and get a real mouse from a third party. Any rodent with a USB connection will work. Apple mice are not the best in the world.

QAPLA!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You don't have to repeat stuff that was said in your first post.
I understand you're running Yosemite but what exact revision? There is a single digit after the second 10. For example I am running Yosemite OSX 10.10.5 - it's that last digit I'd like to know.

Also like I said ditch that Apple mouse and get a real mouse from a third party. Any rodent with a USB connection will work. Apple mice are not the best in the world.
HI,
It's just plain old yosimite 10.10 no additional digits..
Got the issue resolved. I was lucky enough to be contaced by an old friend who worked for apple along side Steve Jobs.. It was a setting in the mouse.. All fixed!! Thanks for your help
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordelt View Post
HI,
It's just plain old yosimite 10.10 no additional digits..
Got the issue resolved. I was lucky enough to be contaced by an old friend who worked for apple along side Steve Jobs.. It was a setting in the mouse.. All fixed!! Thanks for your help
There is no such thing as 'plain old Yosemite 10.10 with no additional digits'. All current Mac operating systems have 3 sets of digits. Even a first release would have OSX 10.10.0. I doubt it's a mouse setting.

Why do I have the feel that I'm being played here? You wouldn't by any chance happen to have been here before under another name and been blocked? The person I'm thinking about had the initials of MB (not his screen name BTW).

QAPLA!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
There is no such thing as 'plain old Yosemite 10.10 with no additional digits'. All current Mac operating systems have 3 sets of digits. Even a first release would have OSX 10.10.0. I doubt it's a mouse setting.

Why do I have the feel that I'm being played here? You wouldn't by any chance happen to have been here before under another name and been blocked? The person I'm thinking about had the initials of MB (not his screen name BTW).
Wow.. I have been trying very hard to give you the benefit of the doubt.
I am way too busy to try and "play" anyone. I'm new and came here for help.
You have condecending and argumentative at every available opportunity.
I don't believe you are a good representation on this forum.. I believe in the general goodness of people.

You were wrong about 3.4 GHz not being an i5 and you are wrong about 10.10
and you are wrong about the mouse settings.. it was set so that side to side swipes would switch between screen apps..
I attached a screen shot to prove what I am saying is true regarding my OS. Even if I was wrong, I was polite while trying to provide as much info as possible.. You should try considering that you may not be " All That" after all.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.08.41 PM.png (24.1 KB, 0 views)