Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Unhappy It's Official.

Hello guys,

Well, it seems official, guitar *has* now become a sport. A guy has been seen to play "Flight of the Bumblebee" @ 600pbm using 16th notes.

World Record attempt

I never would've thought that someone could play guitar so fast that the notes almost become white noise and a tune would become so disjointed.

I mean when I was younger I could play what I thought was fast (I was wrong), but, I never wanted to get so fast that, that hapenned to the tune I was playing, I wanted to remain recognizable. It was like I was trying to hear the tune I knew at one section, and then he was already at the next section and my ear then then jerked to the that section, only to find that section already over, so, it felt disjointed and unpleasant.

Maybe this was what the blues guys were objecting to when Yngwie Malmsteen blew onto the world stage. But at 600bpm it almost like whats the point of playing fast anymore . I cannot break that record nor do I want to. It's like if you want fast guitar on your CD/song then get this guy because mere mortals can't do it.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Default Re: It's Official.

I've seen this stuff and while I respect the amount of work that's gone into it I chalk it up to 'just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea' type deal.

Besides, we all know that the real contest isn't whether or not you can play this or that, it's whether you've got the coolest toys. I mean you have had to have picked up on that hanging around on the internet by now.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
I've seen this stuff and while I respect the amount of work that's gone into it I chalk it up to 'just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea' type deal.
You know what, that comment alone has cheered me up no end . Thanks Random Dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
Besides, we all know that the real contest isn't whether or not you can play this or that, it's whether you've got the coolest toys. I mean you have had to have picked up on that hanging around on the internet by now.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Talking Re: It's Official.

i learned the song in an unusual way; by laying the guitar down flat and playing it by strumming while holding the pick with my butt cheeks. my wife said it sounds like crap though.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
i learned the song in an unusual way; by laying the guitar down flat and playing it by strumming while holding the pick with my butt cheeks. my wife said it sounds like crap though.
...I think she meant "it sounds like sh$t"
Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 AM

I would like to se and hear him play that on a acoustic guitar.
It's hard to hear all the notes with the fuzz/overdrive.

But impressive record anyway.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
...I think she meant "it sounds like sh$t"
So does this guy. It gets to a point where it's all noise with no definition - he's not even trying to articulate notes, just slide through them. As someone's hinted, let's see how well he plays on an acoustic or at least clean with no compression...

Speed for speed's sake is all fine and dandy if you're 15. Once you actually learn how to play MUSIC, and not just how to play a bunch of really fast notes on your guitar, you realize that speed means nothing.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
i learned the song in an unusual way; by laying the guitar down flat and playing it by strumming while holding the pick with my butt cheeks. My wife said it sounds like crap though.
lmfao!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM

I remember hearing Monsters and Robots for the first time and realizing Buckethead could likely log onto a 56K modem. When he did it it was almost noise. but.... It was an integral part of the song and used in a musical way which made it both cool and valid in my book.

I appreciate this guys skills. But at those speeds theres no soul, phrasing or melody. My favorite thing about guitar (besides it being so damn cool) is the fact that a player with great phrasing can be lyrical and expressive and inject some emotion into it. Thats just not going to happen at those speeds. Just not my cup of tea. But an impressive demonstration of training. I think the guy played it very well FWIW.

I'm impressed but not moved. Not that I think he was trying to move anyone mind you.

It may however give birth to the the bragging rights of "Mines Shorter"

The guy is probably a great player when hes not trying to be the worlds fastest player of FOTBB.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 PM

The cool thing about music is that everyone enjoys it for their own reasons. Melody, Harmony, Phrasing etc and the emotion invested in playing/listening to the piece is what i enjoy. Speed for speed sake does nothing for me which is why I find that normal shredding becomes boring very quickly.

Each to their own device!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O