Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2009, 04:14 AM

Question Importing Midi From M3 to PT's

First let me say that im not even sure if this is possible, but i sure hope it is. My question is this:

I have a Korg M3 which has a sequencer in it, and ive recorded most of my tracks for each of my songs on there in midi. What we did before was, run a stereo out of there, to our Korg D1600II, and just record it on 2 stereo tracks...so we'd have all that we recorded on the M3, but still have 14 tracks open to record on on the D1600.

NOW we have pro tools, and would like to Import all the Midi tracks we still have saved on the M3, into Pro Tools, so we can edit and mix them the way we'd like. I figured out how to save them off as Standard Midi Files and Import them as midi files onto PT's, but they dont have the sounds that were with them on the M3, well actually they dont have ANY sounds. Is there any way i can connect the sounds from the M3 with the Midi tracks that i sent up, or is there a different way i should transfer them so that i get the midi notes AND the sounds? Or am i stuck having to run them ONE TRACK at a time, in 'real time' to individual tracks via a Analog out from the M3, to the Analog In of the M-Box? I really hope there is a way i can just transfer everything via USB or Flash Drive and still have it spread out, each sound with its own track, and not all together like it is now on the D1600.

Hope you guys have some suggestions, im open for anything, thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Importing Midi From M3 to PT's

If the M3 is multi-timbral, then the multiple MIDI tracks in PT can drive multiple sounds in the M3 simultaneously. However, all the audio from the M3 is summed together and comes out of the M3 Audio Out jacks, and can't be separated into separate tracks in PT. If you want separated audio tracks, you will have to record one sound at a time.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Importing Midi From M3 to PT's

Ok, makes sense....so how do i set up the connections so that everything is in sync...It sounds like i basically have to use PT's as the contoler of the M3 via the USB, and run the output of the M3 to the Input of the Mbox, and solo out one track one on the M3, as i run the midi track 1 on PTs, and record on a seperate audio file, correct?