Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Pro Tools 8.0.3 Problem (Video Inside) - Please Read

*I posted this in the M-Powered forum as well. Just hoping that somebody from either forum can help me out. Thanks*

Dear DUCers,

I come asking for help with a problem that has been persistent for the last year or so. It's very frustrating but I have a video so you can hear part of it. It used to be a hissing during recording/playback that would appear sporadically. I could deal with it most of the time, but now it's changed into this new thing...it doesn't happen right away, but after listening back to some projects from a few months ago, the audio starts to go out of sync, clip, and swap speakers. I don't know how else to describe it so I made a video.

This is a "fresh" system. I reinstalled Windows a few days ago with each part being added gradually. I am running a system drive, audio drive, and a digidesign approved firewire card (SIIG PCI 2 Port Firewire). I went through the Pro Tools and XP Optimization documents on the AVID site and the DUC, etc. This problem is still occurring.

Please, if you have any insight into this, please help me. Short of buying a mac or a completely new computer, I don't know what else to do. The only thing that I have not tried is a different M-Audio interface. I suppose I can always go out and get one, try it, and return it if I don't see any improvement.

System specs and video below. Thank you so much to those who take the time to read, watch, and give me some ideas.

Emeric

Video

Microsoft Windows Professional 32-Bit
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3

M-Audio Firewire 410

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz Processor
Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7
G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 SDRAM
1x250GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM Hard Drives

1x500GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM Hard Drives
256mb eVGA NVidia 7600GT Video Card (I think it's 256MB)
SIIG PCI Firewire Card

*Note: I know that people say that Gigabye has DPC latency issues, but I ran a latency check before the video (and during) and wasn't getting any red spikes. I've noticed that disabling my network card helps that and in the past, I have not noticed extreme dropouts. There are people on this forum with working configurations using Gigabyte motherboards and I chose this one because I felt that within the price range I was looking at, it had more of the features I wanted when compared with a similar Asus motherboard back when I bought it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.3 Problem (Video Inside) - Please Read

Bump.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviani View Post
*I posted this in the M-Powered forum as well. Just hoping that somebody from either forum can help me out. Thanks*

Dear DUCers,

I come asking for help with a problem that has been persistent for the last year or so. It's very frustrating but I have a video so you can hear part of it. It used to be a hissing during recording/playback that would appear sporadically. I could deal with it most of the time, but now it's changed into this new thing...it doesn't happen right away, but after listening back to some projects from a few months ago, the audio starts to go out of sync, clip, and swap speakers. I don't know how else to describe it so I made a video.

This is a "fresh" system. I reinstalled Windows a few days ago with each part being added gradually. I am running a system drive, audio drive, and a digidesign approved firewire card (SIIG PCI 2 Port Firewire). I went through the Pro Tools and XP Optimization documents on the AVID site and the DUC, etc. This problem is still occurring.

Please, if you have any insight into this, please help me. Short of buying a mac or a completely new computer, I don't know what else to do. The only thing that I have not tried is a different M-Audio interface. I suppose I can always go out and get one, try it, and return it if I don't see any improvement.

System specs and video below. Thank you so much to those who take the time to read, watch, and give me some ideas.

Emeric

Video

Microsoft Windows Professional 32-Bit
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3

M-Audio Firewire 410

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz Processor
Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7
G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 SDRAM
1x250GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM Hard Drives

1x500GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM Hard Drives
256mb eVGA NVidia 7600GT Video Card (I think it's 256MB)
SIIG PCI Firewire Card

*Note: I know that people say that Gigabye has DPC latency issues, but I ran a latency check before the video (and during) and wasn't getting any red spikes. I've noticed that disabling my network card helps that and in the past, I have not noticed extreme dropouts. There are people on this forum with working configurations using Gigabyte motherboards and I chose this one because I felt that within the price range I was looking at, it had more of the features I wanted when compared with a similar Asus motherboard back when I bought it.

Weird but you should update to cs2 first

shea
Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

well hard to hear exactly what you mean since it appears you are recording with your mono camera mic? ...but nevertheless you say it is "..moving between monitors". I assume you mean you have a signal which is stereo out to L and R monitors and the single is dropping at times to one or the other speaker.

How about this...?

Bad monitor! A short to the monitor which effectively turns it on and off intermittently. Try juggling the speaker cables and see if it crackles or you can casue the drop out. I had a similar issue and just replaced the monitor and all was fixed. good luck.

By the way, next dual video-monitor setup!!
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM

I did hear a lot of popping in there. No clue why. You computer should be able to handle a low buffer. Post the Sandra so the other guys can chime in.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Update to cs2! I had the same problem but was accompanied with sporadic white noise. The upgrade fixed it!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM

I've had occasional problems with the M-Audio 410 interface. It appears at totally random times. I've only got 15 tasks running when my PT sessions are running. No network, no firewall / no anti-virus etc. All unnecessary devices deactivated. On my system the CPU meter hardly registers anything at all and RTAS rarely over 20% on small projects.

When the audio drops out I can restore things most of the time by first turning off the power to my monitors then cycling the power button on the 410 then wait a second or two and then power up the monitors again. Problem usually goes away for that session.

If you suspect the 410 then I would suggest before you replace it to first listen with the headphones. It could very well be loose wiring as someone else suggested. Make sure you haven't doubled up the outputs in the 410 mixer as well. Perhaps consider re-routing the outputs to another stereo pair and move the monitors to these outputs.

Also - have you updated the 410 drivers recently? My driver version is 5.10.0.5058.

For what it's worth, I've noticed a change recently that I can't correct with that procedure. I have to reboot. With CS2 installed the drop outs are replaced with a gradual build up of white noise ( sounds like static ) on one channel or the other. Looks like the white noise problem isn't gone for everyone.