Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-29-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Re: How to force opening regular Pro Tools with an Ultimate license bundle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
So, Pro Tools itself can't use its own Core Audio driver without the DigiLink I/O license, while all other software can? On the other hand, it can use any other 3rd party interfaces. This doesn't seem right?
It is well documented that you need HD/Ultimate license to be able to use HD hardware (HDN/HDX, and legacy HD/TDM)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Re: How to force opening regular Pro Tools with an Ultimate license bundle?

Hi

In the same kind of interrogation, I have to rent the "Ultimate" version of my Protools 2018.3, during... say 2 months.
Do you know if the version in which protools opens only depends of the licence type present on the iLok ?

The good thing for me would be that I activate the licence type I want for the Protools version opening I need... without installing / uninstalling protools, and staying on the 2018.3.

Thank ou for your lighting ;-)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:17 AM

PT always opens in HD/Ultimate mode if you have the HD/Ultimate license. There is no way to force starting in standard mode if you have it.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boitason View Post
Hi

In the same kind of interrogation, I have to rent the "Ultimate" version of my Protools 2018.3, during... say 2 months.
Do you know if the version in which protools opens only depends of the licence type present on the iLok ?

The good thing for me would be that I activate the licence type I want for the Protools version opening I need... without installing / uninstalling protools, and staying on the 2018.3.

Thank ou for your lighting ;-)
Yes you install the software once and the behavior depends on the license you use. People can for example evaluate the free 30 day Ultimate trial... and then later use that installed software with a Pro Tools standard license. (but again, HD hardware would stop working).
Old 07-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Thank you !
So logically I will not be forced to install the last version and I will keep my 2018.3 version, right ?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boitason View Post
Thank you !
So logically I will not be forced to install the last version and I will keep my 2018.3 version, right ?
If 2018.3 Ultimate runs OK on that computer, and you have compatible non-HD hardware, and the PT standard license you are using will support 2018.3, then yes.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM

My actual version is Protools 2018.3 and every peripheral works fine.

I plan to buy a monthly subscription for Protools Ultimate, keeping my 2018.3, then come back in few months to what was originally.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:56 AM

If you only need it for 30 days you could set up a trial, but if it is unknown how long you would be using it be sure to subscribe montly, commit monthly. That is a bit more expensive price than yearly commitment paid monthly.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Thank you JFreak

It’ll be for more than 1 month and certainly less than one year. So... monthly subscription is the way.

But the important condition is to stay with the most stable version for me (2018.3).
Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

That should work. Subscription comes with the kind of license that opens those year number releases, but not PT10/11/!2