Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Default Re: PT 2019 Dynamic Transport Meddling

I’m also unhappy with this change in dynamic transport. I’ve always used to to jump the play head around randomly. Great for checking relative volumes in different sections or a group of mixes cascaded across.

Please please add this functionality back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 07-04-2019, 01:59 PM

Yeah, I am disappointed in this change as well. The idea to have it switchable to the new setting, and the original would be a great balance to keep everyone happy.

But I can't help but wonder who you (Avid) possibly consulted with to change this functionality? Dynamic Playback is coveted by my sound design team, designing FX, editing dialogue...not to mention looping parts of a music mix to really hone in on balancing...You seem to have taken the "dynamic" out of the equation entirely...
Old 12-18-2019, 12:02 PM

I am not a happy camper. I have just installed the latest PT 2019.12 update and it seems that this issue I raised about the dynamic transport modes has been completely ignored as inconsequential. I have struggled along for the last few months since I first posted this thread hoping that any subsequent updates would either revert the dynamic transport back to the way it USED to work, which was brilliant, but, no, we are still stuck with the revised version which does not auto update to a part when selected on the fly.

The amount of time that this causes me in my editing workflow is simply unacceptable, and I IMPLORE if not DEMAND to know why the hell someone messed it all up and charged me, after 16 years using it as one of the most important of all editing features, another year of "annual update plan". To make things worse. Sorry to be a pain but can someone give me an adequate reason why this has been changed and as discussed earlier in this thread some months ago why we have not been at least offered a "legacy" option on the dynamic transport feature in preferences?

I am really p****d off here it has already ruined Xmas

[EDITED]. And another thing. Ever since the new changes that are supposed to let me do "many more things on the fly", when I add a plug-in, I invariably get an error, a crash, and a re-boot. If I drag and drop plug-ins to different positions in a chain, ditto. This has happened the very first time I have run this new update and is continuing to persist, and again ruin my Xmas. I dread to think what other nasties are still lurking in here. Its a case two steps forward, three steps back.

Last edited by martinaston; 12-18-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: amend
Old 12-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyc View Post
You are correct that there have been some tweaks to dynamic transport. The changes are the same in PT | Standard and PT | Ultimate... so no trickery on our part.
We have put a lot of energy into what we are calling 'continuous playback', which is an effort to remove most (many) of the little interrupts, hiccups, and glitches a user has to endure during playback when making timeline mods, instantiating plug-ins, adding and/or removing tracks, etc. We wanted to create an environment where a user could engage the transport and work uninterrupted without loosing sync or experiencing drop-outs or glitches with the focus being for music creation... staying in the flow.
This particular behavior was intentional. The idea was that when a loop end point was pulled in front of where the playhead currently was, the playhead would continue to play on, uninterupted.
In order to keep looping, a user would make sure the playheads was always within the loop points. If a loop needed to be shortened, it would need to be done while the playhead was still in the area prior to where the end point was being moved to.
I have received one additional complaint about this, so I will revaluate if this behavior is correct and potentially change it in the future. It seemed intuitive during development and behaved that way in some other DAWs that have a better rep for maintaining continuous playback during music creation.
Have we made any headway then because this sounds like a Boris Johnson campaign fib to me. Get real. No improvements have been made, only retrograde experiments. You've cocked it up big league. Furthermore, at the moment I am trying to back step to a previous version and I won't be paying any more "perpetual" (meaning forever in the very definition of the word) update plans until such time as the Dynamic Transport option either gets reversed back to how it used to be or a legacy option is provided as discussed some months ago. I'm not kidding here I am absolutely beyond livid about all this - the time added to my production has tripled due to this stupid decision to mess with something that wasn't broken in the first place. Sorry but that's the way it is and it's pointless trying to fob me off with any more excuses/false promises 'cos I ain't buying it, especially at double the price of last year's update plan, as all we got was worse than a big fat nothing, in fact we should all get a damn refund.

[Addendum]. I tried to install 2018.105229 which is the last build that the Dynamic Transport functioned correctly, but this version no longer works when installed probably due to being out-dated in regard to Windows updates, so there is no way back, and no way forward here until the issue gets sorted, although I have very little faith that it ever will, so its bye bye Avid from me.

Last edited by martinaston; 12-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:26 AM

I'm struggling with 2018 version as well, which works bad on high-DPI displays. I can't believe that developers changed so important feature, without giving users any choice.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyc View Post
You are correct that there have been some tweaks to dynamic transport. The changes are the same in PT | Standard and PT | Ultimate... so no trickery on our part.
We have put a lot of energy into what we are calling 'continuous playback', which is an effort to remove most (many) of the little interrupts, hiccups, and glitches a user has to endure during playback when making timeline mods, instantiating plug-ins, adding and/or removing tracks, etc. We wanted to create an environment where a user could engage the transport and work uninterrupted without loosing sync or experiencing drop-outs or glitches with the focus being for music creation... staying in the flow.
This particular behavior was intentional. The idea was that when a loop end point was pulled in front of where the playhead currently was, the playhead would continue to play on, uninterupted.
In order to keep looping, a user would make sure the playheads was always within the loop points. If a loop needed to be shortened, it would need to be done while the playhead was still in the area prior to where the end point was being moved to.
I have received one additional complaint about this, so I will revaluate if this behavior is correct and potentially change it in the future. It seemed intuitive during development and behaved that way in some other DAWs that have a better rep for maintaining continuous playback during music creation.
Grown a huge long beard here waiting for further action on this dynamic transport issue which continues to contribute to less than desirable workflow issues. I am currently battling to try to install 2020.5 with the normal 4 hour head scratching routine to get this new version to work...missed the previous version (2020.3) because no alert was ever received that one was available so if the dynamic transport issue has been resolved in that update then I apologise, otherwise, I am not normally known to beg for anything but seriously I am begging you to at least give us a legacy Dynamic Transport behaviour option, asap, the new dynamic transport operation is not dynamic at all, it creates havoc in advanced workflow, adds hours of tedium and frustration and results in sub-standard end product...please. I am past moaning and fighting with other single-minded prats just wanting a ruckus on here about this, just put it back to how it was, NO ADVANTAGE as far as I am aware, and I use Pro Tools all day, every day, was gained by changing the way it behaves...cheers
Old 07-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
Grown a huge long beard here waiting for further action on this dynamic transport issue which continues to contribute to less than desirable workflow issues. I am currently battling to try to install 2020.5 with the normal 4 hour head scratching routine to get this new version to work...missed the previous version (2020.3) because no alert was ever received that one was available so if the dynamic transport issue has been resolved in that update then I apologise, otherwise, I am not normally known to beg for anything but seriously I am begging you to at least give us a legacy Dynamic Transport behaviour option, asap, the new dynamic transport operation is not dynamic at all, it creates havoc in advanced workflow, adds hours of tedium and frustration and results in sub-standard end product...please. I am past moaning and fighting with other single-minded prats just wanting a ruckus on here about this, just put it back to how it was, NO ADVANTAGE as far as I am aware, and I use Pro Tools all day, every day, was gained by changing the way it behaves...cheers
Well, 2020.5 is now installed, and running, so I have once again experimented with the dynamic transport to see if it will do what it was originally designed to do, and which worked perfectly, for decades without any good reason to change it, and which gave Pro Tools the edge over all other DAWs...nope. It remains, a meddled-with mess, non-dynamic transport, by way of it's very title, it should allow dynamic clip selection on the fly, zap,zap,zap, quick, fast, accurate editing, instead it just seems to do anything but; relying on a clip being selected with "link timeline and edit selection" being activated, then deactivated when editing within the clip, otherwise every time a new selection is made it cocks up the original selection...I can't even be bothered to go on describing this nonsense, it is the biggest shot in the foot for pro audio editing ever in the history of, pro audio editing, it is now, "Amateur Tools". Please sort this out, the joke wore very thin very quickly, now it has become a sick one. No option in preferences either. Very, very, bad...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puciak1 View Post
I'm struggling with 2018 version as well, which works bad on high-DPI displays. I can't believe that developers changed so important feature, without giving users any choice.
Yes it would have been nice to have some kind of say in the matter bearing mind it is us the paying customers that pay the salaries