Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 06:41 AM

Default Re: API 7800 Master as summing bus for 888\'s

One other option, albeit expensive, is the Millennia Mixing Suite. I'm using 6 stereo modules that have a bypass switch that allows the signal to be routed directly to the stereo bus. The mixer is profoundly quiet and clean. Tom Jung and Telarc use this mixer for DSD recordings and it's compatible withthe Massenburg modular system. Millennia makes a passive stereo input module with no pan or faders. You can see it at mil-media.com
Old 04-09-2001, 08:21 AM

Here is another interesting option. I have a new Control 24 which has an 8 stereo pair submixer section built in as a standard feature. I cannot yet vouch for its sonic properties when it comes to the summing amp since I have not sprung for the DB 25 snakes for that feature of the console. Is it possible that this 16 x 2 submixer could sound better than the PT mix buss? Probably not.. but it might be worth a try since the feature is sitting there looking lonely at this point. :0)

Barry
Axis Audio
Old 04-09-2001, 09:15 AM

When I read this thread I end up asking myself, WHY? Why go to all the trouble? Why convert to analog to sum your mixes? And finally, what is wrong with the Pro Tools mix bus? Use your own ears, don't listen to what the next guy says, (including me). Why has it become so important to go analog to sum? If you are looking to get away from quantization errors which is probably one of the major causes of "thin" sounding mixes, then by going analog you are only increasing the quantization error even further. If you just happen to like the sound of the analog circuits and are not worried about the rise in quantization noise, then that's another thing. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. That's understandable.

I bought a well known CD that was recorded using Pro Tools. When I listened to it, I was shocked at how bad it sounded. I wondered why. In the end I found out that it was mixed with an analog console, not entirely within Pro Tools. There's another forum going on somewhere about the new Aerosmith CD that was recorded in Pro Tools and mixed on an SSL 9000. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000781.html Some of the comments as to the bad sound of that CD were pointing towards the 9000 as the cause. I haven't heard the CD so I can' t comment. On the other hand, I have heard some great sounding CD's that were mixed entirely within Pro Tools. (I've also heard some garbage). In the end, I think it's the guy behind the controls that's going to be the deciding factor, so I don't buy all of these comments about the sound of the Pro Tools mix bus.

If you would like me to go into detail as to why this solution may cause more problems than mixing entirely within Pro Tools, then I will. If not, just tell me to go away.

[This message has been edited by blairl (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 08:27 PM

It may be the nut behind the wheel but most of us are comparing our mixes with our mixes.

I don't A/B my mixes against other Pro Tools records.

I've been A/Bing my Pro Tools mixes against my SSL mixes. I'm sorry but the SSL sounds better. Oh Well
Old 04-09-2001, 08:30 PM

Blair-

Please tell us more.

-Rob
Old 04-09-2001, 09:11 PM

Very timely thread.

What would you guys recommend, if I were looking for a 'minimalist' analog mixing desk with mute and fader (not VCA) auto?

No doubt the Speck/Manley/API things are all workable if all you wanna do is sum a static mix. I'd rather not have to do my rides in PT though, which means more of a 'real' console I guess.

Anyone know if the Millennia Mixing Suite can be fitted with moving fader packs?
Old 04-09-2001, 09:58 PM

You can still do your rides with Ren-EQ2's instantiated on each channel...it dithers it's output. I mentioned this solution above.

[This message has been edited by PeeTee (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 12:06 AM

anybody tried a Daking sidecar?
Old 04-10-2001, 01:06 AM

The Daking sidecar with master section is $30k. For that price, you can get a whole lot more.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:44 AM

Pee Tee - whats the point fading a signal in PT if you have an insert accrosss (like a compressor0 it on your analog 'summing' console? A fade in PT will f***k the compression up!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com