Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2001, 04:46 AM

Default Using gain on master fader plug-ins to boost overall level?

Sometimes when clients do their own mixes at my place, the master level is to low even though I've explained to them to try and get it pretty high. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on using the gain on the master compressor to boost it up? Is it better to do it with EQ? Or another way?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 04-16-2001, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Using gain on master fader plug-ins to boost overall level?

Normally I always keep about 6 to 10 dB's of headroom before the compressor/limiter. And I always read the meters prefader to be shure of no internal clipping. You can raise the overal level with any comp/lim you like after this stage. You can also bounce every mix without compression and then after a few quickening days review the sound and then limit it to the roof if you like. In this way you can always choose or undo
What I did in the past very often was compressing and making up the lost gain with a Waves Ultramax with a additional 6dB on top of that.
Now I use a Junger accent 2 and I'm in love with it

[This message has been edited by Mano (edited April 16, 2001).]