Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-20-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Zero Crossing?

Is Digi ever gonna feature the most stupid thing in one of the future updates? Zero crossing is really a basic feature...

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Zero Crossing?

I've never needed it in all the years I've been using PT. I do my own fades and/or use PT's excellent Auto Region Fade In/Out and all is good. What functionality are you specifically looking for?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Yes, well I've been using PT for years, but wouldn't it be nice if you could just do an edit and KNOW it's not going to make a glitch, instead of having to use fades? And, also not using fades for just about every edit you make would free up the disk of all the unnecessary fade files?

Also, it would be nice if Beat Deective could make its separations ON zero crossings, so that you wouldn't need to do use batch fade...

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5
Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 AM

I see your point but the Auto Region Fades do just that, make it so you don't worry and have no glitches.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I see your point but the Auto Region Fades do just that, make it so you don't worry and have no glitches.
Believe it or not, this does not always work and still can produce audible glitches on fade ins and outs. Especially when the audio being edited is exposed like a VO. Many times I've had to cut the fade at zero.

There are other times where a crossfade is not even necessary when an edit is joined with two regions meeting at zero with one waveform amplitude being positive and the other negative. It would be nice to have a zero edit point, however when I need it, I just do it visually.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM

Yes, but they really should make it a feature, which you could turn off if you don't need it. Simple as that...

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:

There are other times where a crossfade is not even necessary when an edit is joined with two regions meeting at zero with one waveform amplitude being positive and the other negative. It would be nice to have a zero edit point, however when I need it, I just do it visually.
it´s absolutely ridiculous having to search for the zero crossings visually/manually, but if you want to edit speech/vocals without any plops or even artefacts this is the best way to do it. superior to crossfades imo. at our studio most of the speech editing is done using Wavelab which features zero crossings but no crossfades(!) and I can tell you it´s way faster than editing in pro tools

This is an essential feature, so please digi put it on your list!

philip lewis
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM

My point exactly! Nuendo has it for ages.

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM

dvuckovic,

Thanks for posting. I have a question on how you would implement this feature. I have also used Nuendo and Logic Pro, and understand what Search for Zero Crossing does. For mono files, it works quite nice - if I make a selection it will adjust the selection (slightly) to find its nearest zero crossing point. This would definitely have to be a preference, as we don't want to unknowingly change anyone's selection, as that could cause probelms. However, in this case it is straight foward.

My question is about Stereo files, as this feature has actually given me a "false sense" of security while editing For example, because a selection of the Left and Right channel must be exactly the same in the timeline, I have found that those applications find the zero crossing on the left channel and extend that to the right channel. Often, this does not fall on a zero crossing in the other (right) channel. So you could turn this feature on and still have clicks coming from the other channel in a Stereo file. Because of this, I have always had to manually zoom in, check the edit and still add a crossfade.

Has your experience been different, and how should it be implemented for multi-channel files in your opinion? I am sincerely interested and appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.
Scott
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi Scott,

I've found exactly the same thing with Stereo files in Logic, so perhaps the sensible thing to do would be to make it available for mono files only. The times I find it most useful are usually when I'm editing an announcer read - crossfading a single voice in the clear often sounds unnatural, and matching the pos and neg waveforms on either side of a zero can dazzle the clients when you switch takes in the middle of a word!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10