Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2001, 02:39 PM

Default 48k Converter vs. 96k Converter

I am trying to choose what converter to purchase. Does it matter if I get one that is at 44k/48k (Rosetta) or 88k/96k (Lucid - RME) since Pro Tools LE can only record at 44k/48k?

Any thoughts will help.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2001, 03:49 AM

Default Re: 48k Converter vs. 96k Converter

Converters are:
Apogee Rosetta
Apogee Psx100
Apogee AD8000
Apogee Track 2
Apogee AD16

Prism Dream ADA-8
Prism Dream AD-2
Prism Dream AD-124

Forget something else tht's not in this list
included Digi888 and more,I'm going to buy after summer this following I/O system and ALL people said me that It's BEST configuration for home Studios ever choosed:

SSL 383 2channel MicPre/Eq (4000G series)
2 Vintech X73 (1073 Neve)
Apogee Psx100 converter on Digi001 S/PDIF
(substitute Digi pre's)
Total of quite 10.000$
I'm sure that it's better purchase for an home system 'cause sound quality is maked by
conversion quality and fidelty of Audio system(software+Hardware)algorythm and drivers:about Digi combo I guess nothing to say,but about Digi converters I think there's more and more to say...
Old 05-07-2001, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve:Converters are:
Apogee Rosetta
Apogee Psx100
Apogee AD8000
Apogee Track 2
Apogee AD16

Prism Dream ADA-8
Prism Dream AD-2
Prism Dream AD-124

Forget something else tht's not in this list
And why not RME or Lucid or Cranesong? I have gathered you are grossly overpaying when you purchase Apogee. Some will argue otherwise. But I think one should look into Lucid and RME when upgrading the 001's front end. I am buying RME.

And to the thread topic, I too had this dilemma until last week and chose to go with 44.1 and 48 Khz rates and not 88.2 or 96 because it isn't supported in ProTools and probably won't be for a looong time. I use onlyProTools and will record to DVD for storage and not audio playback.

The higher sampling rates take up twice as much hard drive space, arguably let you use 4 ch/lightpipe and not 8 (but that's arguable), and are more expensive. And from perusing various discussion threads here and elsewhere on the web I'd say folks are split 50-50 on the sonic need for 96khz: "Can you really hear the difference?"

However,if you're thinking about using other systems or burning music to DVD then you might consider the high sampling rates.

But heck, I work with sound in the 3Mhz to 11Mhz range everyday. But that's a far cry from audio.

[This message has been edited by Jim S (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 11:29 PM

Jim S. -

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have you heard of anyone doing a side by side comparison with the Lucid AD9624 and the Rosetta 44k/48k?

I am anxious to hear what you think of the RME once you get it hooked up to your system.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2001, 09:03 AM

A bunch of fellows I know and who's ears I trust compared the RME ADI-8 Pro to Apogee Rosetta, PSX, and AD8000. They did not have any Lucid or Mytek products. Unequivocally hands-down they thought the RME sonically blew the Apogee away. "Not even close." They really feel RME has engineered right and done an incredible job. And it costs a fraction of a similarly featured Apogee.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:54 AM

Anyone consider LEXICON' MPX 500 V2.0 ?

XLR I/Os. New S/PDF 'dry' function for stand alone AD-DA.

Not to mention dual processor which is sorely needed with Le.

And new 4 stage compressor function w/ metering.

BTW-who uses custom AD convertors anyway?

Sony/Tascam can't afford them.

Old 05-08-2001, 11:28 PM

Jim S. -

I checked out the web site where you said you ordered your RME, but I could not find any mention of the ADI PRO-8. Did you order it over the phone?

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Also, your friends who said RME blew the Apogee rosetta away...what kind of systems are they using? Are the pro engineers?

Thank you for your posts regarding converters, I have seen them all over the message board and they have been most helpful.

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2001, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by smog90:
I checked out the web site where you said you ordered your RME, but I could not find any mention of the ADI PRO-8. Did you order it over the phone? How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
I ordered on the website and did not call. I do have a phone number which I can't find at the moment. If I recall correctly, on their website you go to "buy online" and then click something to the effect of "converters ADAT/AES BSU interface". For the RME ADI-8 Pro, a 1 meter lightpipe cable, shipping (to Florida), and VAT, I paid $1032.18. They said it should arrive in 7-10 days. Hence, I expect to be nominated for a Grammy in 8-11 days. NOT!

Also, your friends who said RME blew the Apogee rosetta away...what kind of systems are they using? Are the pro engineers? They use Radioshack cassette recorders and two plastic cups connected with twine as headphones to evaluate the sonic nuances. Seriously, they are semi-pro/pro. You asked about their gear: they use(d) PT, MOTU, Logic, Midiman, Apogee, RME, Purple Audio, EL8 Distressor, etc. Of the fellows, one has been in the recording industry for decades and seems to know a lot of the behind the scenes manufacturing games, etc.

Thank you for your posts regarding converters, I have seen them all over the message board and they have been most helpful. My pleasure. Countless folks on the DUC have been very helpful to me so I'm glad to reciprocate any way I can. That's what this place if for in the first place.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:03 AM

Where on the internet are RME products located? I'd like to check them out.
I just picked up an Apogee TRAK2 loaner to give it a listen. I recorded some bass tracks last night. I ran the SPPDIF out into the digi001. They sound good but I haven't done any comparison. The mic-pres and conversion are suppose to be superior quality. It sells for like $2500-3000, so it better be superior, but like someone said..."can you hear the difference?", if it's not completely apparent, I can't justify spending that kind of dough!

Steve
Old 05-09-2001, 10:21 AM

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm

click on distributors to get to the SFB site. (I have zero affiliation with them.)