Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Ideas Needed: New digi users domain name (unofficial)!

I kinda like the idea of a peer-moderated board like slashdot. Only they thread from news posts not from self help forums? Who decides what topics are posted? And how can the threading be such that old threads can be modded up ...(I.E. the DAVEC thread is still going, Allens $700 PC thread, still going). On a Slash system they would have dropped over time.

Just some thoughts.
I like the idea of being able to MOD out alot of the noise from non-searchers. But sometimes the slams can be more interesting than real tech threads. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

the 'slide
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Ideas Needed: New digi users domain name (unofficial)!

I think you will find that it will be hard to get many of the qualified lurkers here to doubletime on another site as time is a premium. Additionally, you may find that moderating any forum or user based input site is more time consuming and frustrating than you might think.

I've been hosting the k2users.org site for a few years now. If it weren't for the help of several other user/adminstrators it wouldn't fly as I sometimes rarley have the time to keep up over there. When the list went belly-up a few years ago I provided a temporary service to fill-in and I can tell you it's no picnic.

BTW, that site works because Kurzweil doesn't officially provide this type of board leaving others to do it from listservs and the like.

Here, you already have a user base of 18,000 PLUS the monitoring and undying love of DIGI support staff which DO keep regular tabs on what is a very active discussion center.

As well placed as I am sure your intentions are any effort you put forth will most likely run uphill all the way.

Steve Moore