Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 AM

Lightbulb MIDI INSERT/SEND/Region SUGGESTIONS.

I use hardware for my sounds and a few ideas occured to me...

Midi Tracks should have INSERT/SENDS like on audio tracks.

Inserts/Realtime Edit would be like Real time Midi Properties (Gate/Quantize/Duration/Transpose/Velocity/Delay)
and new ones
TYPE (EXAMPLE)

Midi Tremolo Insert (tx Midi CC10 modulated @ specific resolution/rate and waveform)

Midi Wah Wah (LFO tx CC Filter)

Midi Auto pan (LFO CC PAN)

Midi Vibrato (LFO CC Fine/Coarse Pitch)

Midi NRPN Modulation (LFO Specific to device parameter)

Midi Unison (Stack/Duplicate Like Notes for polyphonic tracks with a tick/ms offset per stacked note)

Midi Envelope (ADSR for any CC/NRPN paramater)

Midi Scene Toggle (Switch or smoothly transition between 2 or more CC settings)

Midi Delay Effect (Notes repeat at a tempo or ms interval at decreasing velocity values)

Midi Reverse (Like Waveform Reverse but for midi Notes, based on eather the note on/attack OR note off/relice)

Velocity Envelope (Note on Velo from 1(0%) to 127(100%) over a range and vice versa - - - Kinda like audio Cross Fade/envelope )

Humanize (note on do not land exactly on ticks, always hitting +/- 20 ticks from grid - Velocity is +/- 10 per note on - Chords lined up on same Tick/grid will play like a Strum +15-45 ticks from each other)

Midi Chord Memory/Strum (Single notes Toggle Chords and eather stums it or or rolls it like on piano)

Midi Arpeggiator (Self explanitory)

Groove Templates (Useful for drum/sharp attacking instruments - Slightly alter timing from grid to match odd time signatures and musical styles)

Midi Limiter - Limit Note Range(s), Velocity Value Range(s), Limit Number of Simutaious notes on Playback like 1 for mono and 6 for guitar patch

Midi Compression - Compress Velocity Value

Midi/Audio LINK (Link audio channel(s) with midi Channel(s)) Links Made Via Bus Send

- Audio to Midi Modulation - Input Audio Signal Modulates CC/Velodcity/Note transmission based in onput Audio Waveform(s) dynamic and frequency content - This cam be applied with any other MIDI insert effect)

- Midi to Audio Modulation - assignable Midi Events modulate audio Wave Mute/Level pan and send settings

Midi ROLL - Roll input note(s), Similar to Midi Delay, but designed for Midi Drum Parts

Midi Instrument Template -(Built in Combination of Midi Effects - Helps perform nuances from real instument type) This one is kinda fun --- Each Instrument Template is designed to assist the keyboard play in recreating the nuances in real instruments for example, Violin Template - a Keyboard w/ Violin portamento/pb would automatically be applied to legato while sticcatto notes would produce a sharper attack velocity and AT would create Vabritto - On a snare drum and trigger rolls will come out more dynamically

Midi Lock - Protects specific Midi Event Types/Ranges from being modulated from another source/desination input/output

Midi Stutter - This is a specal Square Temolo Type effect useful for Pads/Strigs where the Pad/String gets CUT on and off in acordance to Rythem. Eather By CC10 or other paramiter (eg From Beat 1 to 4 in 1/16 resolution 0 (ON-Off-ON-Off-ON-On-On-Off-ON-On-Off-ON)

Midi Pitch correction - Automatically corrects midi Notes to match settings such as Key Signature

Midi AUTO KEY SIGNATURE Detection - it has its uses

* Each Midi effect can be Realtime Input (playing) and has a write option ... once written, midi plug in will disable itself

Midi Sends:

Can Send to -
1) MIDI AUX channel (for Mergeing or applying midi effect as a bus)
2) MIDI PLAYBACK CHANNEL (for Merge/Replace Recording)
3) AUDIO Track (For MIDI-AUDIO LINK(s))

Midi Regions:
Region/Loop Lock Switch - Lock Like Regions throughout the Session
If I record/program a 4 bar drum loop on MIDI CH 10 - and Copy region to Bars 5 17 21 33 without LOOPINGfunction, I woul like to assign each Loop in that region as ONE loop. So if I edit the bar17 loop, it will change the bar 5 21 and 33 loops as well.

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Re: MIDI INSERT/SEND/Region SUGGESTIONS.

--- no comments suggestions?

/bump

michae
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM

I'm not an intense user of MIDI (as you appear to be) but I'll say this..

MIDI insert effects sounds very convenient. It would kind of provide some extra uniformity to how you might think about using protools. Concepts on the audio side would have a parallel on the MIDI side... This seems to confuse many people when they are getting started..

But.. Many of the effects you mention are going to sound better as audio plugins (panning, tremolo,wah) because of the limited resolution of MIDI. The up side to the low resolution is that none of those things should be overly processor intensive..

Sounds like you probably do/would like Cycling '74
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Midi Inserts would be convenient for a multi tambral users of workstations and rack devices like JV1080,JV2080,M1R,MOTIEFR,FANTAMR. A midi production can easily exceed 32 stereo tracks. Rendering MIDI to AUDIo per Track inconvienent... as mixdown can be performed internally on modules and/or analog consoles (in my case I have a 24 channel desk).

EDIT:
Also, some midi 'effects' can not be reproduced using audio plug ins, such as keyboard chord midi-guitar 'stumming'
As far as panning/tremolo/wah, most modules have LFOs that perform the same function... but using CC to perform certain effects before it hits processing would give the tracker/programmer a double edged sword.

michae
Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 AM

bump for an old thread....i'd kill to be able to have a "reverse" function where you can reverse the midi notes in a midi region.

danny
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganglion View Post
bump for an old thread....i'd kill to be able to have a "reverse" function where you can reverse the midi notes in a midi region.

danny
I second that
Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 AM

What would you use a MIDI reverse function for? Make arpeggios?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM

An Inversion function for chords and broken chords in scale steps would be nice.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Exclamation Re: MIDI INSERT/SEND/Region SUGGESTIONS.

!!!BUMP!!!

IS AVID LISTENING?!

This would bring MIDI production within ProTools to a whole new level. Rivaled with Cubase MIDI options.

I'm actually even considering switching to Cubase just for this option.

Anybody have any way to incorporating MIDI-FX into ProTools?

I hear 'Structure' has MIDI-FX, but I can't seem to find any examples (vids) anywhere...

Thanks...