Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Default I own pro tools. Do i have to pay to upgrade?

I purchased Pro tools 10/11 combo in 2014. I love my pro tools 10 and assortment of RTAS plug ins. That said, ive had to keep my OSX at 10.8.5 in order to support PT 10.3.9 however osx 10.8.5 is now a fossil and im extremely limited with my internet browser (safari barely shows full websites, YouTube doesn't work etc.)

If i decide to upgrade to Sierra etc am i going ot have to buy a brand new pro tools?? Am i crazy to think its absurd that i spent $699 to own pro tools and now i may potentially have to pay to 'upgrade' in order to continue to use it?

Is there a way to upgrade wihtout a charge?
If i want to use RTAS plug ins im stuck with PT 10- What do you guys do if using an older version of PT and plugins?

I appreciate anyone's insight!
Thanks! :)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Re: I own pro tools. Do i have to pay to upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMattKiefer View Post
If i decide to upgrade to Sierra etc am i going to have to buy a brand new pro tools??
The last version of PT 11.x is compatible with mac OS 10.8.5, 10.9.5, and 10.10-10.10.5, so yes.

Quote:
Am i crazy to think its absurd that i spent $699 to own pro tools and now i may potentially have to pay to 'upgrade' in order to continue to use it?
Yes. You'll be using a newer OS that the old Pro Tools is incompatible with, plus you get a lot of new features with a newer version of Pro Tools. This is true of all software and OS upgrades.

Quote:
Is there a way to upgrade without a charge?
No.

Quote:
If i want to use RTAS plug ins im stuck with PT 10- What do you guys do if using an older version of PT and plugins?
You have to use a compatible OS so you can either not upgrade to Sierra, or update your plugins.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
...I love my pro tools 10 and assortment of RTAS plug ins...

im extremely limited with my internet browser ...
If PT10/RTAS still works & meets your needs, then don't upgrade. For a browser, have you tried Firefox?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM

I agree with @egs why upgrade, if you don't have any issues with you system. if it gives you the quality and sound you like. then don't upgrade.

if it aint broke don't try to fix it.!!!!! these companies are all in it to make money. they alway come up with new softwares, but make sure its not compatible to what you already have. so then therefore you'll have to upgrade you whole system. all because you wanted the newest pro tools software. so now you end up buying new computers, software etc. all to be compatible with what you originally wanted in the 1st place.

if what you got sounds good and professional keep it and don't upgrade. and pro tools 10 is not a bad program at all. good luck homie on ya quest.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I purchased Pro tools 10/11 combo in 2014. I love my pro tools 10 and assortment of RTAS plug ins. That said, ive had to keep my OSX at 10.8.5 in order to support PT 10.3.9 however osx 10.8.5 is now a fossil and im extremely limited with my internet browser (safari barely shows full websites, YouTube doesn't work etc.)

If i decide to upgrade to Sierra etc am i going ot have to buy a brand new pro tools?? Am i crazy to think its absurd that i spent $699 to own pro tools and now i may potentially have to pay to 'upgrade' in order to continue to use it?

Is there a way to upgrade wihtout a charge?

I appreciate anyone's insight!
Thanks! :)
Because upgrading to PT12 not only will mean to pay for Pro Tools 12 but also for many AAX versions of your plugins as well as for many other things you might think it over.
Even more if you say you are satisfied with your current system.

I would recommend to just seperate your music system from your daily/internet machine. Means, get some of these small laptops for 200-300 bucks for your daily/internet stuff
(get a large SD/Micro SD card to expand it´s storage space) and leave your music system as it is.

Even if you are going to buy a more expensive computer like the smallest Mac Mini for $499.- you will be better off as for the costs.
PT12 is absolutely cool and I never would want to go back to 10 but one have to be prepared to have to spend a certain amount of money on upgrading for sure (PT itself, AAX
plugins, in some cases even a new audio interface and a new computer etc.).

I think you should leave your music system untouched and invest in a second small, cheap office/internet computer. This probably will be the more affordable solution finally.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
If PT10/RTAS still works & meets your needs, then don't upgrade. For a browser, have you tried Firefox?
Sad thing with that is even in this day and age there are sites that refuse to work right with Firefox. Maybe Chrome would work for the op?

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Partition the hard drive; keep your old system, as is, on one side and a newer OS with later Pro Tools version on the other side—Best of both worlds.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Sad thing with that is even in this day and age there are sites that refuse to work right with Firefox. Maybe Chrome would work for the op?
Yes, Chrome is cool. However, I was working recently at a studio running PT HD 10 on Mac OS ??? (not sure which). It said something about Chrome is old and cannot be updated on this particular Mac OS. So, see if you can get a current Chrome on your Mac OS version.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Updating and upgrading is just part of life, and it's usually best to stay somewhat up to date or else at some point you face a huge expense all at once. I had the same pain leaving TDM but it had to be done...you'd do it in any other business to keep yourself running. The $699 update or whatever it was DID feel like total wallet buster by Avid, but the upgrade plan is $99 a year, so pretty minimal once you're up to date. Most of your plugins probably will be ok and already have AAX versions, though again I had to leave some behind and be sure to note if you do make the jump - your old session compatibility will be out the window. Good luck!