Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 AM

Default HD Native PCIe card

I am finally getting around to updating my PT8/ HD3/ 192 system, but really can't support a full on HDX replacement. So I am considering Native HD solution and a newer,faster computer.

I have a dealer getting back to me with some quotes for various options including "trade in" options.

In lieu of a trade-in option, is it possible to use the Native HD card with legacy hardware such the Digi 192? I have found literature on the Avid website from when the Native was first introduced that supports this, but I cannot find any current information or a path to purchase ONLY the HD card.

Any ideas?

Media Man
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 AM

Default Re: HD Native PCIe card

Native card will work with 192's although might not be officially supported they still work. Your best bet is to buy a used card from a dealer like Alto Music or sometimes you can find them brand new by themselves on eBay. At least new you will be able to register it with Avid.
But again, I do not believe there is anyway anymore to technically by the card by themselves. They used to be sold that way but not anymore.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Very happy with my HDN rig on a custom-built 6-core PC. Tracking bands with a 64 buffer, and doing 5 stereo headphone mixes via AUX sends in the sessions. I started with a package with an HD IO and a used 192 and all worked dandy(the older IO boxes do require an adapter cable). The only reason I traded the 192 in was I got a stupid good deal on the second HD IO

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Another option to consider would be a Waves DLI or DLS

You can run the blue face (96's, 192's) into those, without the need for a Avid/Digi card. Uses the Waves SoundGrid driver.

The DLI is a bridge only, while the DLS adds a DSP server.

Both are stellar options. The DLI is on sale right now for $750.

Keep in mind, PT will of course limit you to 32 I/O via a DLI/DLS (But Waves SG will do 128 channels in other DAWs)

Figured I'd mention it in case you were not aware .... I am selling an HD Native rig in favor of the Waves hardware.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 AM

You cannot purchase *only* the HD Native card... you will also have to purchase a Pro Tools HD license to use with it. That normally comes with the bundles and interfaces from Avid. And yes bundles from Avid include interfaces, so you are in the "used"/unbundled reseller market. Be careful who you buy from. You need to spend some time understanding the new licensing restrictions and subscriptions around Pro Tools licensing and the annual costs to you. If you have a HD 3 system that is working well and you are not needing say 64 bit support I would probably stay there.

If coming from a single 192 class system and considering this I would actually first be looking at Pro Tools (non-HD) with something like a UAD Apollo or Apogee Ensemble. Pro Tools 12 includes most HD software features and this gets you further out from unde Avid's HD hardware and software repressive licensing.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You cannot purchase *only* the HD Native card... you will also have to purchase a Pro Tools HD license to use with it. That normally comes with the bundles and interfaces from Avid. And yes bundles from Avid include interfaces, so you are in the "used"/unbundled reseller market. Be careful who you buy from. You need to spend some time understanding the new licensing restrictions and subscriptions around Pro Tools licensing and the annual costs to you. If you have a HD 3 system that is working well and you are not needing say 64 bit support I would probably stay there.

If coming from a single 192 class system and considering this I would actually first be looking at Pro Tools (non-HD) with something like a UAD Apollo or Apogee Ensemble. Pro Tools 12 includes most HD software features and this gets you further out from unde Avid's HD hardware and software repressive licensing.

Sure you can, every day on eBay for around 800 bucks.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Sure you can, every day on eBay for around 800 bucks.
No I meant you can't just purchase the HD Native card and have a working Pro Tools system, and not with Pro Tools (standard), you need a HD license as well. And in this case he needs a more recent HD system than Pro Tools HD 8 to work with HD Native.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 AM

Actually HD Native should work with HD 8.5. They came out with that update right when it was released, because they didn't want to spill the beans about PT9, which would come out a few weeks later. As such, everyone who bought it new when it came out qualified for the free upgrade to 9, but it should still work with 8.5.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually HD Native should work with HD 8.5. They came out with that update right when it was released, because they didn't want to spill the beans about PT9, which would come out a few weeks later. As such, everyone who bought it new when it came out qualified for the free upgrade to 9, but it should still work with 8.5.
Was't 8.5 HD a separate iLok license asset? So it won't run off a 8.0 asset? So the OP would still have to find that license to use PT 8 .5 with HDN. Either way I really would not... just creating hassles, and I am not sure about firmware compatibility of a random HD card you might pick up. Just such little use there to know. if there are not reasons to want to be on all the modern features of Pro Tools 12, 64 bit, track freeze, etc. then just stay on TDM. Or again, if you want to move forward off Pro Tools 8, and don't have a boatload of HD interfaces it is really hard to look past Pro Tools standard and some of those modern Thunderbolt interfaces (yes requires a new Mac)....
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Was't 8.5 HD a separate iLok license asset? So it won't run off a 8.0 asset? So the OP would still have to find that license to use PT 8 .5 with HDN. Either way I really would not... just creating hassles, and I am not sure about firmware compatibility of a random HD card you might pick up. Just such little use there to know. if there are not reasons to want to be on all the modern features of Pro Tools 12, 64 bit, track freeze, etc. then just stay on TDM. Or again, if you want to move forward off Pro Tools 8, and don't have a boatload of HD interfaces it is really hard to look past Pro Tools standard and some of those modern Thunderbolt interfaces (yes requires a new Mac)....
All good points. Even if it works, he'd be stuck at 8.5 without much options. I agree HDN would benefit more from the newer features in 11 and 12.