Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Default How to wire this!? im new at this

hey guys,

how would this be setup, concerning the inputs and outputs of specific equipment?

i am running a firebridge lightpipe interface into a computer, with a lightpipe output going to a presonus digimax lt preamp. how would i connect an avalon 737 into the mix? im confused as to how the input would reach the 737, and then where would the output go to?

if anyone can be of any help, that would be great.

thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: How to wire this!? im new at this

Mic XLR->XLR Avalon Microphone Input
Avalon Line Output XLR->TRS Digimax Line Input
Digimix -ADAT-> Lightbridge
Lightbridge -Firewire-> Computer

You could patch the Avalon into the channel inserts on the Digimax using the TRS channel inserts, but then you'd have to convert between unbalanced (Digimax) to balanced (Avalon), and you'd have both the Digimax and Presonus mic pres in your chain - not something I think you want to do.

If you're asking how to patch the Avalon in as an outboard processor for existing tracks - you can't. You'd need a DAC, which the Digimax doesn't have.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 PM

when tracking drums i would want to use the digimax, but when for example, recording vocals i would want to use the avalon. when doing vocals, i would want to eliminate the digimax because i would much rather the sound of the avalon for vocals. how do i wire that? that's my real question, sorry if i worded it incorrectly beforehand.

thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 AM

You'd wire it the same way as described above. Drums - plug your mics directly into the mic inputs on the Digimax. When you want to use the Avalon preamp instead, it's going into the line input for a channel on the Digimax, and not a mic input. This should bypass at least some of the Digimax's preamp circuitry between the Avalon and the Digimax's ADC. There's no way to eliminate the Digimax entirely, because it's your analog to digital converter.