Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2003, 01:16 AM

Default Inserting audio into a web page

Well, I've tried my hand at web design. Pretty smooth, and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's nothing flashy, literally. No flash, no shockwave, nothing fancy. But I spent a good bit of time piecing all of the graphics and text together. Looks good. Cool.

The site is for an acoustic ensemble that I play with. We have recently produced some music, and we want to integrate the audio into the web page as mp3's, and also have them available as steaming audio. That's not where the problem is, as I've been working with digital audio since it's early days. However, I'm not really the web design type. I'm running into some trouble here, and I need some guidance.

Here's the situation. I've designed the site using Yahoo's Site Designer program. (That program is pretty smooth for basic stuff, especially when it was free!) It doesn't offer any options to integrate audio or video into the web pages. That is exactly what I need, and the program lacks in that area. I have become very comfortable with editing in this program, and I don't really have the time to learn another one. But is there is any way I could import the finished pages into another program to simply attach the audio and/or video where needed, that would be great.

If anyone can walk me through any possible steps to acheive this, please let me know! Thanks to anyone who can help.

- Andy
Old 12-28-2003, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Inserting audio into a web page

Hi,

do you want the music to download or to actually play while browsing the site?

If it´s the first you can simply upload your mp3s and put a link on them so they will download when clicked. if yu want to play them automatically you have a problem.

This is quite short for an answer but you have to be more specific on how you want the audio to behave and what you intend to do with it.

regs

Old 12-28-2003, 08:10 AM

to add to the above answer. FTP your mp3's up to you site folder ( or in a music folder you create in your site) try and keep the link titles simple ( not like mine) I have an Apple iDisk ( part of a .Mac account) in my iDisk is a folder called Public ( capitol "P" specific) this Public folder has no password. So here is the link : http://idisk.mac.com/desertdude-Publ...rks.mix.16.mp3

when you click it it opens in a page, your path might look something like this: http://www.spiceyitaliano.com/music/my.song.mp3

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-28-2003, 09:55 AM

Ok, cool. That makes sense. I really am quite the amature when it comes to web design, but that makes sense. While I don't quite know how to go about doing all the FTP work, I'm sure the man hosting my site can take care of that for me.

The ability for someone to download from a link is precisely what I wanted to do. But I have been wanting to add the feature to stream the audio as an option as well.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:07 AM

Streaming quality sucks and is a lot more complicated - you need a streaming server. Use fast-start QuickTime and you can have the file (mp3, mp4, etc.,) play as it downloads from a regular http server. That is the method that Apple uses on its Movie Trailer site.

I have a tutorial that might help - it includes a template and simple instructions.

If you want to modify that you could investigate Apple's authoring tutorials
Old 12-28-2003, 11:46 AM

there´s a cool ftp software called "transmit"

check it out at http://www.versiontracker.com. It´s very easy to use, you only nedd your login to your account where you put your html files to.

to include this into you html files use the normal code
<font class="small">Code:<hr /><pre>

<a href="http://www.yourwebsite.com/directory/musicfile.mp3">Text of your choice</a> </pre><hr />

best
Old 12-28-2003, 05:18 PM

here is another easy FTP app_ cuteftpmac

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-28-2003, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. And the links too.

Looks like streaming the audio might be more work than I'm in for. But what about play-while-download, is this possible? I have seen many audio clips load on pages and begin playing before they are entirely downloaded. They don't really stream, but they can play before the download is complete. What about that? Is it a simply check-box somewhere that I should hit?

I wanted to mention that all my internet work is on a PC, but the FTP dowmloads will work just fine. Unfortunately, I'm still a bit confused on how I can use that to place audio on the hosting server. (Am I just not following you here, or did I miss something, or am I just not fit for this job?? )

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:43 AM

for play while downloading just don´t compress the file and let the Quicktime browser plug-in handel the stuff automatically.

perhpas put a note on your site, "for mp3 listening you need quicktime"

best

Old 12-29-2003, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Looks like streaming the audio might be more work than I'm in for. But what about play-while-download, is this possible?
That's fast-start QuickTime. Follow the tutorial (disregard the video section) it's all there step by step (including the check box). You do need QTPro to do this properly. It is Windows as well as Mac.