Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2002, 11:31 AM

Default Drums on John Mayer\'s "Room for Squares" Album

Has anyone else notices the incredible Drum tones on John Mayer's new album... They have to be the fattest, most natural sounding drums I've ever heard recorded. Does anyone know who the player was and who and how it was recorded?
That is the exact tone of drums I would love to have on my recordings.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Drums on John Mayer\'s "Room for Squares" Album

The player on the record is, I believe, Nir Z. Last time I saw him he was using GMS. On his MTV vids and live clips, it's matt johnson on the drums. Matt just got a mapex endorsement and is using a deep forest snare (sounds very fat.)
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 08-09-2002, 09:04 PM

YES! I keep making my friend who was a pro drummer in NYC listen to this album. The first thing I noticed about this album is the drum sound. It is definitely the best album I've purchased this year. Part of the reason "Room for Squares" sounds so good is because it still has plenty of dynamics. Not balls to the wall limiting for better airplay. I highly recommend this CD for those who want to hear a nicely done pop/rock album.

Rodney
Old 08-09-2002, 09:20 PM

Yeah, it's on my list of albums to buy.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:11 AM

Does anyone think that the main kit was augmented with samples as well. (It's either that or the drummer is one of the most consistent drummers I've ever heard)
I also noticed that the drum kit is not super wide but it still didn't sound closed either. Would this add to the bunch of the sound?
Old 08-12-2002, 02:00 PM

Give a lot of credit to Jack Joseph Puig, who mixed/remixed the record. Everything he does sounds great (don't even get me started on the Jellyfish albums). Also check out the Vanessa Carlton record, which Puig also mixed. Same deal, nice and dynamic, but still sounds great and modern. IMO, Jack's got it all over the Lord-Alge bros.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:03 PM

It's funny you mentioned the Carlton recording as well, because that song (1000 miles) has incredible drum sounds too. I agree, I think Jack Joseph Puig is an incredible mixer/engineer as well.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:24 PM

Yea, what a great record. And an amazing drum sound. I must say, it must have been a group effort. I've heard a few other records that John Alasia did, one for a friend of mine 5 or 6 years back, and although he did a good job, It didn't sound anywhere near that good...not even close. Anyway, I played with a guy last month in Decater who's working with John Alasia on his new record now. Another talented young singer sonwriter dude. And there were 100 people in the bar playing bear bingo and only 15 or so people willing to pay a 5 dollar cover to see three good acts in a good sounding listening room.

We [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ll I'll be laughing when I see them in Walmart next year buying his new record like they did Johns [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]