Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Ahh.. of course. I'll scour through it again when i get a chance. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Dverb 2.0 - Difference Aux track <-> Mono Tracks

Quote:
When I perform the dverb test I can record 32 mono tracks.
As from track 33, I can no longer click the record button.
What do I do?
Go on creating mono tracks (up to 48?) (or even further?)?
Start creating aux tracks?

Or or both methods equal?

FYI:
243 Dverbs(2.0) 24 48 1024 On a Q6600 - Asus P5K-e, 2GB of Corsair DDR2 667, Nforce 8500GT 256Mb, 2 74GB WD Raptor HDD, 1 500Gb WD HDD, Firewire 410, 7.3cs4
hey MM, please see the instructions on the 1st page of the thread for the 'how-to' of the DVERB tests. once you get your numbers i'll add you and your results to the lists! happy quadin'!!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know what you think about the Video Card, I believe your going to need to pick up a Digi approved FW card. The P5K should be using the VIA 6308 FW chip and there have been problems reported with that particular FW chip. Some of the newer (large capacity) HDD are going to a variable speed HDD controllers to save energy. While I'm not familiar with the particular WD drive you mentioned its something to keep in mind when speccing a drive for PT. Other than that things look good. My old P4 was getting around 39 Dverbs I think you will be pleased with the Quad.
Thanks for your comments Sunburst... What issues should I be on the lookout for with the FW? How will I know if its not operating correctly? As for the hard drive, what problems would the variable speed cause? I see in the specs that the WD drive (which I plan to use for the audio drive) has the intelliseek variable speed functionality. I found a demo on WD's site http://www.wdc.com/en/flash/index.asp?family=intelliseek which makes it seem like a useful function. Have you heard of it causing problems withh PT? If so I will find another drive without it. I dont see any mention of variable speed with the Seagate drive, so I am assuming that it is not.
VIA 6308... from what I understand it just doesn't play nice with PT and throws out error codes that bring the show to a halt. Using a DIGI approved FW card like the SIIG listed on the Specs Page should solve any issues. If you not using a 002, 002R, 003 ,003R than the FireWire incompatibility is not a problem.

Variable Speed drives. It will be interesting to see how it works. I don't know for a fact it won't work. I was surmising since PT doesn't like certain chipsets, USB drives, Slow drives, Fragmented drives ETC that it may very well object to having to wait to access or write to a file while waiting for the disk to spool up to 7200 RPM. I was just trying to give you a heads up on a potential problem. It may be perfectly fine too.

We won't know till YOU try

MR Western Digital intelliseek hard drive BETA tester man
I will glady detail my results when I get this thing built. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Hello guys,

I need a small information which is very hard for me to find... which PT LE supports multi-core CPU-s? I'm running 7.1 now on PK5-e with Quad 2,4 , and it seems to work for you but not for me...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 PM

!!!

ITS ALIVE!

I figured out why it wouldn't overclock...I had to set the ram to 1:1 in the bios...
Im now running a FSB of 333mhz for 3.0ghz cores...and It feels like theres a ton more headroom...my cpu is only idling around 25deg C!

My 3dmark06 results were 13,412 marks...VERY pleased.
Cant run my Dverb test just yet because My 002 isn't with me- Im going to try to borrow my buddie's m-box to run the test.

The only issue left to get the kinks out of is the eSATA...cant get it to work with my new Samsung Freeagent Pro
Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Use Aux tracks.

Been awhile since I did a Dverb test but as memory serves you will have all 32 mono audio tracks with 5 Dverbs each. You want to record enable all but the first audio track (The one with the 5 min test tone-there's no sense in recording over the test tone you made with the signal generator ) create 32 Auxes and start adding in Dverbs.

For whatever reason the FW interfaces do better than the USB one on the Dverb test.

You may be the first Mpowered poster. It will be interesting to see if there is a differeance between the Digi and Mpowered stuff.
Thx for the feedback Sunburst.
I can see clearly now.
I used Auxes.
I lost 10 Dverbs (in comparison to using mono non recordable audio tracks).
Meanwhile I upgraded to 7.4 though.
That might have caused the loss of 10 Dverbs too...

End result =
233 Dverbs(2.0) 24 48 1024 On a Q6600 - Asus P5K-e, 2GB of Corsair DDR2 667, Nforce 8500GT 256Mb, 2 74GB WD Raptor HDD, 1 500Gb WD HDD, Firewire 410, 7.4

I intended to overclock (& test) this system, but there was no time.
The machine was already put in production & current configuration is largely satisfying
our current recording needs.

I will build a similar system asap though (also Firewire 410) and that will be used
for some thorough testing.

I will be happy to post my findings here!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
hey MM, please see the instructions on the 1st page of the thread for the 'how-to' of the DVERB tests. once you get your numbers i'll add you and your results to the lists! happy quadin'!!!!
Final result:
233 Dverbs(2.0) 24 48 1024 On a Q6600 - Asus P5K-e, 2GB of Corsair DDR2 667, Nforce 8500GT 256Mb, 2 74GB WD Raptor HDD, 1 500Gb WD HDD, Firewire 410, 7.4

Not really at the top end for this kind a configuration, but satisfying.
IMHO this machine can be pushed over 300 with 'some' overclocking.
I will be happy to test this on another machine, to be assembled by the beginning of next year...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM

I am having PC issues on my Protools machine although it is unrelated to Protools. I have the ASUS EN7200GS 256MB video card and a ViewSonic LCD monitor. One day I booted up the machine and the screen was just white. I cycle power on the monitor and I can see that the PC has booted up correctly but just for a second as the screen quickly fades to white again. I can reboot the PC a couple times and eventually the monitor functions correctly and things seem fine until next start up.

Ideas?

PS I replaced the monitor connector. Man it was hard to do but it is a new one on there now.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Spaids I would try the monitor with another computer and see if the problem exists there also. If it does I would suspect a bad monitor. If the monitor seems fine than I would suspect the PCIe video card. I keep a ancient PCI video card around for checking AGP and PCIe video card and slot problems. Substituting a know good PCIe card could help determine if your card was bad.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know what you think about the Video Card, I believe your going to need to pick up a Digi approved FW card. The P5K should be using the VIA 6308 FW chip and there have been problems reported with that particular FW chip. Some of the newer (large capacity) HDD are going to a variable speed HDD controllers to save energy. While I'm not familiar with the particular WD drive you mentioned its something to keep in mind when speccing a drive for PT. Other than that things look good. My old P4 was getting around 39 Dverbs I think you will be pleased with the Quad.
Thanks for your comments Sunburst... What issues should I be on the lookout for with the FW? How will I know if its not operating correctly? As for the hard drive, what problems would the variable speed cause? I see in the specs that the WD drive (which I plan to use for the audio drive) has the intelliseek variable speed functionality. I found a demo on WD's site http://www.wdc.com/en/flash/index.asp?family=intelliseek which makes it seem like a useful function. Have you heard of it causing problems withh PT? If so I will find another drive without it. I dont see any mention of variable speed with the Seagate drive, so I am assuming that it is not.
VIA 6308... from what I understand it just doesn't play nice with PT and throws out error codes that bring the show to a halt. Using a DIGI approved FW card like the SIIG listed on the Specs Page should solve any issues. If you not using a 002, 002R, 003 ,003R than the FireWire incompatibility is not a problem.

Variable Speed drives. It will be interesting to see how it works. I don't know for a fact it won't work. I was surmising since PT doesn't like certain chipsets, USB drives, Slow drives, Fragmented drives ETC that it may very well object to having to wait to access or write to a file while waiting for the disk to spool up to 7200 RPM. I was just trying to give you a heads up on a potential problem. It may be perfectly fine too.

We won't know till YOU try

MR Western Digital intelliseek hard drive BETA tester man
Ok I got my pc built late last night and ran a dverb test
Here are my results:
240 Dverbs on a Q6600 - ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35, CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 , MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 , Seagate ST3300631AS-RK 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 , Digi 002 Rack, PTLE 7.31

I am still waiting on my Audio drive WESTERN DIGITAL WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Hard Drive Bulk which has the intelliseek function as well as my digi approved card.I will post my expericence with that when I get it. So in my limited testing the onboard fire wire showed no problems and the video seems fime. The performance is awesome. To go from 23 dverbs on my old P4 to 240 is over a 1000% increase. Total cost on my new pc somewhere around 1400 with 100 dollars in rebates. I have optimized the Bios settings based on the info in this forum, but have not done the Hot fix for multi core processors. Sunburst, do you recommend doing that for the quad? -- thanks again for your help!!!!!