Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

who has time to fix junk? i dont, i have serious drop dead never work in this town again deliverables. if you have time to didle around poking myriad idiotic parameters and add on pieces of third world software cludged together to make it usable, go ahead but if you have ACTUAL real clients they wont tolerate your cheapness very long, and will go to someone who's computers run properly. i couldnt care less but its just sad to see people unable to admit thier decisions are cheap-ness driven and then rationalizing it.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That'd be like going back in time to machines that are mostly pre-built in factory and not upgraded by customer (as in consoles). If something, the industry will go back to all-mac, assuming people flock to Logic for MIDI composing. That and AU will never exist on Windows or Linux.

The only reason we are even talking about Windows as an option is Avid's and Steinberg's greed. They saw the potential customers using dirt cheap hardware and made their products cross-platform. Today, the Pure Crap stuff isn't the thing but as Apple keeps us waiting for the new Mac Pro, currently the self-built PC looks better than ever -- but even then there is the choice of building a Windows or a Hackintosh workstation.

To see big money studios move from Mac to Win is just wishful thinking. Apple has limited number of hardware models for sale, therefore it is viable to take those to Avid's testing grid -- which in turn means tighter support, which is what big money studios want.
I don't really think windows support has anything to do with greed. The very reason we are talking about Steinberg, and Digidesign, and Avid, and Logic at all in 2019 is that they successfully adopted computer hardware that is easily accessible to the masses for the application of DAWs.

The big names of recording in the 1970s and 1980s all had a crack at making DAWs. Studer with the Dyaxis. SSL with the ScreenSound, Scenaria and OmniMix. AMS Neve with the Audiofile. New England Digital and Otari made DAWs too, but I can't quite remember their name. Even Fairlight for the most part. They may well have been the most successful DAW running on proprietary hardware until they went bankrupt (for the second time). When they were reformed in recent years, they recreated the fairlight DAW in the same vein as Digidesign, using personal computers as the basis. It is now part of Black magic design's DaVinci Resolve.

I don't really think Windows is going to become any less of a part of the DAW landscape in the coming years, even if Apple release a fancy new Mac Pro.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
Come on avid. Track count? I never even use the track count HDX has. For vanilla users its cool but man.

Except that the increased track count is NOT for Vanilla users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM

I'm hoping there is more coming in the next release than in the latest video but I do like the idea of glitch-less playback when adding plugs and new tracks.

I does seem though like little is going on with these updates. I rarely go above 80 tracks with HDX so the increase means little to me.

I'm giving them til November then dropping the $400 fee. I can get it all done as is now. Doesn't make sense to keep giving with the little we get.

Freeze and commit were big ones and Im happy to have them but unless they can truly enhance the timing of my workflow no need to keep paying.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Except that the increased track count is NOT for Vanilla users.

How many tracks and voices are you currently using on your Vanilla systems?

I have Ultimate and an HD Native system, and will be getting the increased voice count, but I don’t expect to ever reach that limit (new or old) doing live recordings of classical music ensembles.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

I have Ultimate and an HD Native system, and will be getting the increased voice count, but I don’t expect to ever reach that limit (new or old) doing live recordings of classical music ensembles.

Me?

6-8 for my mastering work. 8-10 for my post work. 4-6 for my vinyl cutting work.

Don’t write much music these days, but if I did, I wouldn’t be going past 50 tracks I don’t think.

Last edited by Sardi; 02-15-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

Same here, doing classical recordings also. I may reach 26 tracks for the next recording (I doubt), even than I still have 6 spare tracks.

Regular Protools here.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
If you have read PRO TOOLS EXPERTS lately, you know that there is a strong trend towards the PC. I had 2 intense years on MAC and I find that graphically (although I have a great video card) MAC is more powerful, better integrated, the image is more fluid. Easier to network too. But for the rest, I do not see the benefits of MAC. Except the usual, as with ... Pro Tools. But you have to understand: habit is an important aspect. I have been going to Samplitude for a few months a few months to familiarize myself. For a week, I can work entirely in this DAW, at least in recording and mixing. I'm not at MIDI, anyway pretty rudimentary in PT.
I temper a little: It's still not so easy to leave PT when we learned with his logic. Samplitude is a lot less logical. He is very "disheveled". And many functions are incomprehensible at first. He is very rich and gives a lot, but the disorder of his presentation is an obstacle. And that's the strength of PT. Hard fight. The best thing would be that Avid incorporates a few new simple functions, such as midi playslits, or to differentiate the visible tracks in editing and on the mixer. We do not need all the AUXs in the editing window (in the mixer, yes, of course).
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
I temper a little: It's still not so easy to leave PT when we learned with his logic. Samplitude is a lot less logical. He is very "disheveled". And many functions are incomprehensible at first. He is very rich and gives a lot, but the disorder of his presentation is an obstacle. And that's the strength of PT. Hard fight. The best thing would be that Avid incorporates a few new simple functions, such as midi playslits, or to differentiate the visible tracks in editing and on the mixer. We do not need all the AUXs in the editing window (in the mixer, yes, of course).
Screen Set should help with having things look differently in Edit and Mix Windows ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 AM

I find it humorous that my 1st Pro Tools rig was a Digi 001 on an Athlon XP2700 w/4 Mb of Ram/WinXP (got my build advice here on the DUC) running PT 6.31 (1st version with 32 tracks). The 1st weekend I had it I edited a project in Nashville and over 2 days I made enough $$$ to pay for the 001.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6