Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-18-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Re: NAMM new HDX or nothing!!!

I wonder if the next iteration of HDX might be an incremental one that supports the higher voice count that was originally promised last year.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I wonder if the next iteration of HDX might be an incremental one that supports the higher voice count that was originally promised last year.
It should as that was promised 6 months ago but since not a peep so let’s hope as thats the last thing leaving a human mind

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-19-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Sure. If you want lots of storage, a UAD satellite, more than one HDX card, video out, etc then the Mac Pro probably ends up being cheaper as you're not paying for all those extra chassis.

I imagine they're the same as the MTRX 2 Mic/Line Pristine AD Card. Funnily, my MTRX is almost exactly the same specification as the MTRX Studio, I would almost take a downgrade if it had AES/EBU and was worth the cost of switching. Mostly to have a power switch that is on the front (as I have to leave my MTRX on all the time as it's in a rack!).
I imagine that the specification of the I/O could be lower compared to the MTRX individual modules. Do you have the link to actual I/O spec's on the MTRX Studio?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Avid is behind the ball...........update HDX
Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Avid is behind the ball...........update HDX
In the current HD Driver's Info.plist, it appears there's support for a high voice count variant (same device ID, different subsystem ID as HDX). But this could also just be a HDX card with newer firmware...
Old 01-19-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
In the current HD Driver's Info.plist, it appears there's support for a high voice count variant (same device ID, different subsystem ID as HDX). But this could also just be a HDX card with newer firmware...
Most probably is, because Avid needs to test the new firmware not yet released to general public
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 AM

why would AVID change/renew the HDx system ? I know it's already old but it's so powerfull ! Now even with the new MacPro 7.1 you could insert 6! cards which means you'll have more than enough DSP-POWER!

What do you need more ? more inputs ? More Voices (this could be a valid point!)

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 01-20-2020, 03:09 AM

Why would you install 6 cards if you got the same out of 3 cards? Of course people are expecting that technology moves forward. HDX is +8 years already.

For comparison, Original HD cards only lived 2 years until there was HD|accel, and another 2 years and the HD Core card got a speedbump in its PCI-e incarnation. Generation before that (MIX) only lived 4 years. Original TDM cards lived 4 years before that.

So yes, card upgrade is way overdue.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 AM

Since the vast majority of their HDX cards are bought by high end studios who have way more than 1 card and multiple rooms, i’m guessing they haven’t felt the pressure from those clients that they actually need more power.

I think the bigger argument for a new generation is to be able to reboot the whole AAX DSP thing and make the next generation tech a stronger choice for developers. Hardly anyone makes them including many of the best (Fabfilter etc.)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
stronger choice for developers
Have something in mind? DSP version of AAX can be developed with same SDK than its native version, just that DSP has limitations that the developer need to be able to overcome. Developers don't like limitations, but that is just the nature of DSP.