Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Waves Restoration and X-Click: Is It Working?

I just purchased the Restoration Bundle and am just discovering its great potential. However I'm stuck on a problem with X Click.

I'm trying to get the pops and clicks out of an old, badly scratched transcription record (50 year old radio show). Whenever I lower the threshold to remove some clicks/pops, it takes the high end off the click, but adds a low end thump to it, sometimes distorting the vocals and making things worse.
Easing up on the threshold or Shape leaves the clicks intact. Seems to be either one or the other. I've listened to the Difference Mode, processed it as a file and inverted it, playing it alongside the original. (Hoping phase cancellation would work). Same thing happens, it adds a low end thump. What gives?

Anyone else having the same problem?

I have Restoration RTAS 4.0 (non TDM)and Platinum 4.0, running on Pro Tools HD3, Mac OS 9.2 (soon switching to Panther), Mac G4/933 w/1 gig RAM.

What would help in this situation?

Old 06-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Waves Restoration and X-Click: Is It Working?

Well, I just learned from Waves that X-Click and X-Crackle ARE NOT supported at 96k! Which is what I'm doing my restoration project at...96k. What a bunch of B*******! Worse yet, Digi lists the bundle as being 96k compatible. Digi, you need to straighten this out. Only X-Noise and X-Hum are compatible at 96k at present.

Buyer Beware! I feel I've been ripped off.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 PM

I dunno this will help you or not, but you might try the Sonic NoNoise plug-ins. The de-click section they have is pretty good, though I'm honestly not sure if it will work with 96kHz material or not.

BTW, if all the Waves Restoration plug-ins aren't 96k-compatible, I wouldn't say that's Digi's fault. Go over to Waves' site and yell at them. It's up to them to keep this stuff current.

--Marc W.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:23 AM

Is there a demo of the Sonic NoNoise? Where would I get it?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 AM

Digi has a link...go to Plug-In Info (Developers) and click on Sonic NoNoise. Sonic has a demo. Haven't tried it yet but plan on it this weekend.

The latest word from Waves is that they found a bug in the plugs, at 96k. No word on when it'll be fixed. (by the way, I did speak my mind to them...it isn't a matter of fault, but one of communication between the manufacturers, sales reps and customers).

The bottom line is that I have a choice: Either re-do the project (involving a week's worth of transfering transcription and 78rpm records) at 48k, or try SonicStudio at 96k, and hope I can get an exchange or a very good deal from the music store I purchased from.