Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Pro Tools Duet (by Apogee) now keeps losing connectivity on Sierra.

Hi,

For some reason this has only really happened since I updated to Sierra.

It'll be working fine, I'll switch off my Mac, and randomly when turning it back on the unit is on but the Mac can't see it...

e.g. System Preferences -> Sound then starts using Internal settings... I have to powercycle the unit and reconfigure the Mac / DAWs to see it again.

Any ideas why / how to fix?

Cheers,

K.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Duet (by Apogee) now keeps losing connectivity on Sierra.

I doubt most people can follow what you mean with "then starts using Internal settings..."

When you say switch off are you shutting down the OS and powering off the computer entirely or do you mean sleeping the computer then later wake it?

I expect you mean the earlier, but if the later--don't do that.

Where is any hard information here... like the Duet driver version you are running? Mac details, etc. Is the interface directly connected to the Mac or into a hub etc.

Did you do an insitu upgrade or a full clean install of Sierra?

If it was fully shutting down, make sure macOS is not configured to use the interface, unplug the interface and plug it in with the computer powered on does then it work?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Hi,

By Internal settings I mean it doesn't show Pro Tools Duet in the System Preferences -> Sound menu at all until I powercycle the unit. Only the Internal speakers / microphone etc are visible so that's why my Mac / DAW start to use instead.

I don't put my Mac to sleep, no, it's a full shutdown.

Everything is directly connected to my Mac Book Pro via a USB.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Sierra v10.12.6 (OS upgrade). Duet version is latest (0.2.66).

I aim to keep everything up-to-date.

Hope that helps, look forward to any further insights you all may have.

Cheers,

K.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 PM

*bump*

Hi all,

Any ideas on this one?

Cheers,

K.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Who knows this may be normal, I doubt Avid sold many of these interfaces or many users are around here. Apogee make great products but layering on top Avid's less than great consumer support is a bad idea. You should have purchased the Duet from Apogee.

You can try to do some detective work: If the interface is not showing up in macOS/OS X then something is likely wrong with it, it's not a Pro Tools issue. You can check if the device is being probed at all. Look in About This Mac>System Report>USB does *something* show up there that could be the interface (even if it's not labeled correctly). Then is the device deriver installed for the device? Run kextstat in a terminal and look for the driver for the interface, it should be marked as from avid or apogee. if you are not getting this far you likely have a hardware/firmware problem.

Try unplugging the interface and let the Mac boot and then connect it... does that work? If so it's probably not worth spending more time on this. If not then buy a support ASC with Avid or try contacting Apogee support and hope they feel sorry for you.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the response.

You seem rather hostile Darryl, not quite sure why, but something for you to work through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Who knows this may be normal, I doubt Avid sold many of these interfaces or many users are around here. Apogee make great products but layering on top Avid's less than great consumer support is a bad idea. You should have purchased the Duet from Apogee.
It's an officially licensed product. The name of this subforum is "Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet" and given there are other threads relating to this unit it's the right place to post the question.

Your personal opinions here about my spending habits, Avid, and Apogee are noted. But misplaced.

Again, not sure why you're so hostile.

Quote:
You can try to do some detective work: If the interface is not showing up in macOS/OS X then something is likely wrong with it, it's not a Pro Tools issue. You can check if the device is being probed at all. Look in About This Mac>System Report>USB does *something* show up there that could be the interface (even if it's not labeled correctly). Then is the device deriver installed for the device? Run kextstat in a terminal and look for the driver for the interface, it should be marked as from avid or apogee. if you are not getting this far you likely have a hardware/firmware problem.
All the drivers are installed / up-to-date, the Mac just randomly can't detect it again after reboots. I wouldn't call that expected behaviour. Hence the bug.

Quote:
Try unplugging the interface and let the Mac boot and then connect it... does that work? If so it's probably not worth spending more time on this. If not then buy a support ASC with Avid or try contacting Apogee support and hope they feel sorry for you.
As mentioned in my original post, rebooting the unit fixes the problem, but that's a pretty terrible workaround to the problem. And not really something to engage Apogee on just yet.

You're quite welcome to not spend any more of your time on this tbh, especially if you're going to continue to throw shade in the wrong directions.

It's a bug, and the reason why I'm posting here.

Cheers,

K.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM

What a pile of whining nonsense.

I never said this was the wrong place to post your questions, or that the product was not officially supported, I was explaining why you are not getting any other responses to your multiple posts. Lets try the test, have you got a lot of responses here from other users? From Avid support?

I was giving you suggestions to see if the driver is actually loaded into the kernel, or if the USB device probe is working at all, to try to see if a problem stands out there. You did not want to or are not unable to do any of those? But you've determined "it's a "bug", well big duh, a bug in drivers, or firmware, or faulty hardware, or your computer has a problem, or.... and you don't seem to want to actually do anything to help diagnose. So exactly what do you want other Pro Tools users here to do to help you? We gave up sacrificing goats a while ago...

You purchased the product, and are apparently trying to get help here and not getting that from other users and I'm explaining why. If some of that reflects on you making a bad purchase decision on yet another one of a long line of consumer product that Avid played with and bailed from then well tough.

If you want to get Avid customer support to try to help with this problem this is *not* the place to do that, you need to purchase an ASC and file a problem report.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 PM

Hope you feel better.

Ignoring you now.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh_Chi View Post
Hope you feel better.

Ignoring you now.
Might be late to the party, I thought the Avid branded was only PC?? I might be wrong.
Since Avid dropped the Quartet, Apogee
updated their firmware for Apogee branded units to work on PCs.It also updates the firmware on a Mac, mine has been rock steady on High Sierra.

Thinking you might be able to use the latest firmware, and software control panel.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Might be late to the party, I thought the Avid branded was only PC?? I might be wrong.
Since Avid dropped the Quartet, Apogee
updated their firmware for Apogee branded units to work on PCs.It also updates the firmware on a Mac, mine has been rock steady on High Sierra.

Thinking you might be able to use the latest firmware, and software control panel.
Thanks for the response.

Apogee created a standalone sku to Avid that would work on both PC and Mac, and delegated all support back to Avid for the unit. Using anything from Apogee for this isn't really an option.

In the background I've been going back and forth with Avid about this for resolution. They claim it's more to do with a faulty hub, I'm saying that everything was working fine before the Sierra update and all the other peripherals still work fine on the hub... plus exactly the same experience occurs on other hubs I've tested with... so it suggests more of an issue relating to the Duet itself.

Fun times, will wait and see what happens.