Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Eddie when are we going to get an update for the dock?

I didn't say nobody, I just said that I've never worked with someone who does. In terms of features off the top of my head...

Focus - selecting something (like an insert) in protools brings that up on the dock and app
Clip FX control
Having the option for the monitor knob to be assigned to pan instead of having to go to the pan page
making the eq know control the ‘q’ by pressing the knob
temporary mix groups for selected tracks eucon shortcut
One page where i can access the controls for my channel. Pan, level, eq
Clearer active track name - because it doesn’t always switch correctly
Stable dock connection
being able to assign group mute and solo soft keys
having the dock change the numerical displays on channel strip
Search in eucon assign page
Assigning audio suite to softkeys
Old 03-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Avid

That's great, thanks, see below, anything not commented on we know about and plan to do.
  1. Focus - selecting something (like an insert) in protools brings that up on the dock and app
  2. Clip FX control
  3. Having the option for the monitor knob to be assigned to pan instead of having to go to the pan page ---- Nice idea, although monitoring is being worked on at the moment, this could come after
  4. making the eq know control the ‘q’ by pressing the knob ---- knob top is clear so changing it would effect everything
  5. temporary mix groups for selected tracks eucon shortcut ---- not sure what is meant by this ?
  6. One page where i can access the controls for my channel. Pan, level, eq ---- isnt this the channel page? Or are you talking about custom knob set?
  7. Clearer active track name - because it doesn’t always switch correctly ---- I think this is fixed in the next release
  8. Stable dock connection ---- We have fixed one issue with this in next release and working on the other
  9. being able to assign group mute and solo soft keys
  10. having the dock change the numerical displays on channel strip ---- not sure what this is ?
  11. Search in eucon assign page
  12. Assigning audio suite to softkeys
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 AM

making the eq knob control the ‘q’ by pressing the knob ---- knob top is clear so changing it would effect everything -
Don't understand what you mean - we just need to be able to switch to eq 'q' without having to press the fiddly iPad screen. Pressing down on the frequency knob would be the best solution
temporary mix groups for selected tracks eucon shortcut ---- not sure what is meant by this ?
We constantly have to adjust multiple clips at at time with the fader. Setting up a group to do this overtime is far too slow. In other daw you can simply select multiple channels and they all will be affected. Having a softkey that turn on/off a temp mix group for what ever channels are selected would be a lifesaver for projects, like in film where we have 100's of tracks running
One page where i can access the controls for my channel. Pan, level, eq ---- isnt this the channel page? Or are you talking about custom knob set?
No, there are separate pages for all these. Makes no sense. It should all be on the same page

having the dock change the numerical displays on channel strip ---- not sure what this is ?
For example, when you adjust the channel strip eq, the pro tools plugin does not change its values on the pro tools screen
Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Avid

I'm not sure how you could fit all the controls of a channel on to one page ?

Not displaying changes in the channel strip plugin when turning a knob on the surface sounds liek a connection issue...an chanec of a video showing this ?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 PM

I think you could easily have an extra pane with all the controls. A much better solution would be to when in that pane, to have the monitor control to control whatever control you last touch. Left hand to select the control, right hand to adjust it with the knob. That would be the fastest solution

In regards to the display changes...are you saying that if you adjust say the gain of a channel strip band, that the pro tools plugin changes to that pane and shows the numerical changes as you do them? I don’t think they do. I could be wrong
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Moviesound. I hear you on this
Quote:
"One page where i can access the controls for my channel. Pan, level, eq"
I actually submitted an IdeaScale about this a while back.

Basically the concept is to have one page that is basically a one-stop shop with basic params.(clip gain, pan, high pass filter, attack, release, threshold, and maybe frequency and gain of the basic 4 or 5 bands of the first eq plugin). If more detailed params are needed then flipping over to the eq or dynamics tile would always be there too.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ms/260992-3779
Old 03-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Hello, Eddie -

Hope all is well! I work in post audio and would LOVE to have flip fader ability for The Dock.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, I just can't seem to come across it right now.

Thank you,

G.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Avid

Yes Flip for the Dock is on the list.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Yes Flip for the Dock is on the list.
Thank you very much for confirming-- I'm very happy to hear it.

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviesound View Post
In regards to the display changes...are you saying that if you adjust say the gain of a channel strip band, that the pro tools plugin changes to that pane and shows the numerical changes as you do them? I don’t think they do. I could be wrong
Sounds like you want a follow mode.
The plugin numerical values do change -- you just want the main screen to focus on that change (follow mode) where it pulls that back into view.

I agree it is dumb that pressing the knob on the frequency does a "reset" (one of the least needed things and should be done with a modifier) vs bringing up "Q" on EQs. Having to tap "sel" on the touchscreen to get there is dumb -- and the dual value encoder has been a staple to eq design forever (whether a push or concentric)