Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Avid

Default Re: Error, missing iLok authorization for Pro Tools 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin11 View Post
I may have misunderstood what you meant by 'Xs'! (I did say I was no expert!)

There are four different numbered folders which contain a 'License Support Setup'.

I clicked on the first one but it says 'Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features'?

As you were suggesting I run this, does this message mean that it is already installed and therefore I will be removing it if continue?

Martin
That would seem to be the case - it appears to be installed and, yes, running it would remove it.

I think we may want to try a complete uninstall and reinstall of the iLok/PACE drivers. Can you remove anything with iLok/Pace in the name from Add/Remove programs, restart and reinstall the iLok drivers?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Ok, I've done that but still no luck I'm afraid.

I did search for the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\tXXXX.tmp\Lic enseSupportSetup.exe folders again and this time I double clicked on the first one without it asking if i wanted to remove it. It just didn't do anything.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 AM

I'm still stuck on this if anyone can think of anything I haven't tried or mentioned already?

Cheers.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Avid

This may be a bad registry entry - are you familiar with deleting items from the registry?

If so - try deleting anything PACE or iLok related, restart and run the installer again.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM

If you mean uninstalling them from add/remove programs then yes, I've tried reinstalling the drivers but no luck.

Is it possible to completely start again - i.e. uninstalling Pro Tools 9, wiping the iLok and registering again. Will I be able to do that using the same product key, MBox2 serial codes etc as if I'd just bought them?

It feels like the only option left but I don't want to try it until I know I won't have to end up purchasing new keys or codes.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi Martin,

I had a little problem like this when trying to run my Eastwest Libraries for the first time. I found that at first, the drivers that had installed were outdated so I took a look on the Ilok website and downloaded the new drivers directly from there. Also, sometimes windows decides not to install software/drivers correctly which makes them not work. In the few cases where this happened to me I simply reintalled the drivers without removing my first attempts, which seemed to irradicate the problem.

Also, are your USB ports USB2.0 or USB3.0? Sometimes USB2 devices don't fully work with USB3 connections.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Hey Ben,

I think I've tried reinstalling the drivers without uninstalling them as well.

My USB ports are 2.0.

Mmm, maybe there's something in that although my PC recognises the iLok and it's recognised on the iLok website so I presume it would have had an issue during first installation???

I dunno.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM

There are or should be a set of drivers somewhere on either the Pro Tools installation disc or the drivers disc, did you use the drivers that came with PT or the ones located here?: http://www.ilok.com/download-ilok-software.html

Im just having a little search on my PC to see if I can find anything that may help you.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 AM

I managed to find another thread with someone who had similar problems and they suggested booting the PC without the iLok plugged in, then as soon as you load Pro Tools, insert the iLok within half a second. I tried this and Pro Tools loaded!!!!

Does this mean a faulty iLok, a faulty USB Port or something?

Am I going to have to do this every time I load Pro Tools?

I've contacted Avid with the free support code I got when registering but haven't heard anything back and that was a few days ago. It's hardly a professional fix considering the money I've poured into my music software!!!

Does anyone know why this fix works and how to avoid having to try this 'hit and miss' way of using Pro Tools 9?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Hi Martin.

It's good to hear that you have found a fix, suitable or not a fix is a fix. As you mentioned that you have tried the ilok in all the usb ports I doubt that there is a fault there especially since your other devices are working normally (I'm assuming). And seeing as your ilok does infact work, i doubt there is a problem there.

I would recommend that you take a look in the power options. (Start>Control Panel (Category view)>System and security> Power Options) Make sure the High Performance option is checked and make all the nessesery changes desciribed in the windows 7 optimizations article (If not already done so) regarding power options. Sometimes the power plan can shut down usb ports and stop powered connections which may have resulted in this instability.

If this doesn't help I would then take a look at Start>(right click) Computer> manage> (left hand side) Device manager. I think there are some optimaizations to be done here in the article. In this page there should be a menu called Dongles, in this menu Ilok should be listed when it is plugged in.

I'm cirtain that your problem is not hardware related, and from this revelation there is a good chance that it may be the way in which your usb busses are being powered.

To be honest I must have restored my desktop to it's factory state at least 10 times in an attempt to fix verious problems. I swear ProTools has a luck engine to determine a sucessfull install. Keep going!