Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Default How much RAM do I need for Pro Tools 11?

I have two major questions:

I am looking to buy Pro Tools 11, but first I want to try the 30 day free trial. However, this presents me with a dilemma: Currently, my computer runs on Windows 7 and only has 4 GB RAM. Do you think that will be sufficient to test out the software? I would rather make sure I want the software before buying a computer to go with it.

My main concern stems from the following experience: 9 years ago, I bought a DAW and a new computer and I was very excited to use it. My main instrument is the piano, so I hooked up my keyboard and started recording midi tracks. However, the latency was awful: about a half second delay from when I pressed a key to when it registered on the computer. Of course this makes it impossible to record a new track on top of another track while listening to the initial track. This was extremely frustrating and I eventually sold my computer and gave up.

I understand that computers have come a long way in 9 years, but this is still a major mental block for me. On this go around, the first thing I would like to do is to prove to myself that I can overcome the keyboard midi latency delay issue (in other words, that it will not be a problem this time around).

Will a 4GB RAM Windows 7 computer be able to record midi from a keyboard without any noticeable latency? If not, what is the lowest RAM (and any other important specs) where you would feel comfortable saying keyboard midi should not pose any latency problems?

My second question is this: We may eventually buy a nice Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM for Pro Tools. If we do, my wife would like to use it for a different purpose (editing photos and videos) when I am at work. I know it is recommended to dedicate a computer exclusively to Pro Tools 11, but this may be the only way I can convince my wife that we can spend the $4000 (or more) on a computer. Do any of you have experience using Pro Tools by night and other programs by day on the same computer? Has it worked ok?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Re: How much RAM do I need for Pro Tools 11?

Latency depends on many factors, one of the most important is the audio interface. Make sure you're using a PCIe or USB 2.0 or Firewire or Thunderbolt interface. Some are "quicker" than others, and two almost identical devices can exhibit different latencies.

Another major factor is buffer size. This ties into the audio interface consideration. Lower buffer sizes will improve latency, but at the cost of CPU power and/or driver stability. A good interface will handle low buffer sizes (32, 64, or 128 samples) without the clicks and pops that commonly happen when a streaming error occurs.

RAM info:

4 GB = bare minimum
8 GB = good idea
16+ GB = better idea, recommended for those who use video in PT11

A Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM would have no problem being a multipurpose computer. Pro Tools, video editing, image editing, etc. You do not need to dedicate the system just to Pro Tools. Especially if using it as a multi purpose machine saves you an additional $4,000. I use my machine as a Pro Tools system, but it also moonlights as an administrative machine, photo/video editing rig, web surfboard, and space heater. While I have encountered the occasional problem with Pro Tools, I'm confident none of the problems were related to my office and visual software. A new Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM will be an absolute beast, it would be a shame not to make use of its graphics horsepower.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Pro Tools also has Midi offset abilities.
The Keyboard via MIDI-USB direct will most of the time be faster than
5pin-midi to 5-pin/USB.

Download and try it.
Just note that there are setting that optimize for your particular system.
Change your system and re-optimizing would be normal.
Operating System and Application(s).

If all the setups are nothing you wish to deal with then hire a tech to set you up.

The current Ram limitation should not effect your midi latency.
It would effect how many software sound modules could be utilized.
If you run into issues and post back here, state your setup (Keyboard, sound modules, MIDI and audio interface) i.e. help us help you.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks to both of you for the great advice!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM

8GB is plenty if you don't have HD license and use the wonderful Disc Cache feature...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
8GB is plenty if you don't have HD license and use the wonderful Disc Cache feature...
CS has recommended 16GB for anyone using the video engine. I am under the impression this is regardless of vanilla vs. HD.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 PM

Of course they recommend, because there might have been test cases where 8GB config gives small trouble but it disappears if you double the memory.

But hey, still 8GB is plenty. I remember that PT6.4 installer was less than 50 MEGABYTES so yes, times have changed, but not that much. It was perfectly okay to have a video track when we did not even have a full gigabyte of memory, why the video engine would suddenly require ten times more?

Just saying "video engine" doesn't mean much. If you have a SD video or HD video or 4k video, or whatever codec you're using, you have different requirements for your system.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just saying "video engine" doesn't mean much. If you have a SD video or HD video or 4k video, or whatever codec you're using, you have different requirements for your system.
Well, I'm just relaying what CS told me. I was encountering problems with 8-bit DNxHD 145 ([email protected]) video in Pro Tools HD11. I was told it was recommended to have 16GB when using the video engine, which prompted me to upgrade from my then-12GB to 16GB.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Well then, it might be just what the doctor orders in this case. Depending on the computer, RAM is relatively cheap so why wouldn't you try?