Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #331  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 PM
DigitalMetal DigitalMetal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 410
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Im a long time PC HD TDM (HD3) user and rest assured PC HD is a safe place to be with PCI-X Cards.

I actually run a dual system with swappable drives between Win7 x64 and OSX 10.6 Hackintosh so i have both worlds to choose from so if ou really dont like windows you have that option too but be prepared to do a LOT of research before buying components if thats your preferred route.

Anyway im currently running an older Asus Motherboard (P5WDG2 WS Professional) but researching an upgrade.

What i will say is that you dont need PCI-X slots normal PCI are fine (the HD cards dont used full PCI-X bandwidth).

Anyway PT9 runs like a dream on Win7 and just a well as it does on OSX so once you are inside PT9 the only difference for you would be if you were using any Mac only plugins like Metric Halo Channel Strip etc etc.
__________________


PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Frans29 Frans29 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Holland
Posts: 13
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Are you really absolutely positive the cards will work in normal PCI slots? Isn't there any performance loss using them that way? I need all my cards to work at their best.
I've found a board with 3 PCI-X slots and will work with westmere and nehalem processors. Since these are used in Mac Pro's I figured this was a good starting point?
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...8DA6.cfm?SAS=N
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
temetrepo temetrepo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 221
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

This one has been confirmed working by a few other members
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=NAF92-Q67

See here
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308489
__________________
Originally Posted by JustinA
"Soon" as in we should be refreshing our browsers, or "soon" as in ADC coming to LE?
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
RonTalley RonTalley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temetrepo View Post
This one has been confirmed working by a few other members
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=NAF92-Q67

See here
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308489
This is the one I ordered. Everything seems to work on it and it works well with OSX.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,668
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt crooks View Post
........i feel like i'm going to get several more years of use out of my five year old pci cards!

nice............
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
DigitalMetal DigitalMetal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 410
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans29 View Post
Are you really absolutely positive the cards will work in normal PCI slots? Isn't there any performance loss using them that way? I need all my cards to work at their best.
I've found a board with 3 PCI-X slots and will work with westmere and nehalem processors. Since these are used in Mac Pro's I figured this was a good starting point?
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...8DA6.cfm?SAS=N
im 100% sure, the cards are PCIX size but only PCI bandwidth,
__________________


PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 PM
abc1mce2's Avatar
abc1mce2 abc1mce2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 217
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Can anyone out there verify this MSI mobo is working in a PCI HD3 set up....
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-C...l#/?div=Detail

I know the 1155 mobo with the H67 chipset is a no go, but this one has the P67 chipset and I have been eyeing this one for a while now and I'm ready to pull the trigger if it'll work.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
What is more relaxing then Music?

GigabyteX79-UP4 Rev 1.1
Xeon E5 2680 v.2. 10 Core cpu Windows10 v.1903
Avid HDX 2019.10 HD - 16x16 - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - AVID Artist Mix (2)
Universal Audio UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo - Pci-E Quad - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Antelope Trinity - 10M
Grace Design M905
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Burl B2
Dangerous 2Bus
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 PM
abc1mce2's Avatar
abc1mce2 abc1mce2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 217
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Can anyone out there verify this MSI mobo is working in a PCI HD3 set up....
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-C...l#/?div=Detail

I know the 1155 mobo with the H67 chipset is a no go, but this one has the P67 chipset and I have been eyeing this one for a while now and I'm ready to pull the trigger if it'll work.

Thanks in advance.
After researching it and seeing that it too uses a PCI to PCIe bridge, I decided to go with the Jetway (i7-2700K) to replace my Gigabyte H55-USB3 (i7-875K) in the near future. I just got the mobo from newegg.com and once I feel like building a new system I'll start that project. I really can't wait to see what the preformance boost will be like....and I plan on going up from my HD3 to an HD4 set up since I don't see myself jumping into HDX anytime to soon.
__________________
What is more relaxing then Music?

GigabyteX79-UP4 Rev 1.1
Xeon E5 2680 v.2. 10 Core cpu Windows10 v.1903
Avid HDX 2019.10 HD - 16x16 - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - AVID Artist Mix (2)
Universal Audio UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo - Pci-E Quad - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Antelope Trinity - 10M
Grace Design M905
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Burl B2
Dangerous 2Bus
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
sonorelli sonorelli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 61
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
After researching it and seeing that it too uses a PCI to PCIe bridge, I decided to go with the Jetway (i7-2700K) to replace my Gigabyte H55-USB3 (i7-875K) in the near future. I just got the mobo from newegg.com and once I feel like building a new system I'll start that project. I really can't wait to see what the preformance boost will be like....and I plan on going up from my HD3 to an HD4 set up since I don't see myself jumping into HDX anytime to soon.
Are you talking about the Jetway NAF92-Q67? http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...name=NAF92-Q67

That's the only board I've ever seen with 4 adjacent PCI slots. Sweet! I believe its possible to Hackintosh this board as well: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic....2&hilit=jetway

It looks like a lot of trouble, but if you want HD4, go for it.
__________________
Sonorelli
HD3 Accel PCI-x, Pro Tools 10.3.9 HD, OSX 10.8.5
Hackintosh - Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i7-870 2.93 GHz, 16GB RAM
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 AM
abc1mce2's Avatar
abc1mce2 abc1mce2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 217
Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorelli View Post
Are you talking about the Jetway NAF92-Q67? http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...name=NAF92-Q67

That's the only board I've ever seen with 4 adjacent PCI slots. Sweet! I believe its possible to Hackintosh this board as well: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic....2&hilit=jetway

It looks like a lot of trouble, but if you want HD4, go for it.

That's the board I'm talking about...Haven't decided if I'm staying Windows7 or going for a hackintosh build yet. I might just try both on separate hard drives of course.
__________________
What is more relaxing then Music?

GigabyteX79-UP4 Rev 1.1
Xeon E5 2680 v.2. 10 Core cpu Windows10 v.1903
Avid HDX 2019.10 HD - 16x16 - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - AVID Artist Mix (2)
Universal Audio UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo - Pci-E Quad - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Antelope Trinity - 10M
Grace Design M905
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Burl B2
Dangerous 2Bus
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are these pc components ok? chazc080488 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 16 08-13-2010 12:20 PM
need help with HD components FMR_Crisis Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 9 04-17-2010 06:07 PM
What components lie in the most POWERFUL native PTLE Systems? epu 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 07-28-2008 08:18 AM
Will these PC components do the job hws 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 1 08-06-2007 09:22 PM
components rems 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 1 11-19-2001 10:32 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com