Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Default Can I adjust EQ for output from Mbox?

Is it possible to adjust the EQ for the speaker output from the Mbox 3, or do I need to buy another piece of hardware just to do that? I am using the Mbox for all the audio coming out of my Mac, so this would be for all audio, not just when using Pro Tools.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Can I adjust EQ for output from Mbox?

What are you trying to do here? Using EQ to correct(attempt to correct) room problems is an exercise in futility(IOW, it ain't gonna work..not well anyway). Assuming you want to "correct" your sound for some reason, you have several options. IK's ARC plugin can work okay, but you need to remember to NOT bounce with it engaged(or your 2mix will have that EQ applied). KRK's Ergo and JBL's MSC-1 are hardware options that work(more or less) automatically to tune for room/speaker anomalies, but ANY EQ will induce lots of phase issues(just because of how they work) and can't solve every room issue(that's down to room dimensions, shape, size, materials, etc). Tell us what you are shooting for and maybe that will help get better advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM

It's really much simpler than that. I just want to tweak the sound slightly to accentuate the treble a bit more. Not massive EQ, but just a little bit. I want this to work for all sound output through the Mbox, not just when using Pro Tools. The Mbox driver allows me to add echo and such, but can't see how to adjust EQ in any way. It's not really a room issue, but just my personal preference.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM

Let me rephrase the question a little, do you want to HEAR the slightly brighter sound, or do you want to PROCESS your audio to have this extra top end? Depending on the answer, you will get different suggestions. If you just want to HEAR more top, is it because your tweeters are tired? Or maybe the monitors are just not of the proper quality/tonality you need? If you want the actual audio to have more top, you can insert an EQ plugin on the master stereo track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Further, if you want this high end boost every time you use the mbox, such as all pc playback etc, then yes, you will need a hardware eq...

Personally, along the lines of Albee's posts, I would personally sink those bucks in with monitor you like...jus sayin...

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt