Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-11-2001, 11:16 AM

Default Focusrite Penta/Pre-Amp ?

I, (like others on this forum) am not exactly thrilled about the DIGI's pre-amps. So I've been thinking about getting a better pre-amp to put infront of my Digi 001. I did a little research and to me it looks like if you want to get a pre-amp that noticably better than the DIGI's you're going to have get a one that's in the $500 dollar range. The low end pre-amps just add noise, and won't be any better than the ones i got with the DIGI. Well that's great to know but what if i can't afford to spend $500+ on a quality pre-amp. I saw that Focusrite sells a stereo preset compressor called the Penta. I saw a penta for sale for $350 and learned that it has the same class A pre-amp as the Voiceworks model from focusrite for less than the VoiceWorks( I think they call it Voiceworks?). I can justify spending $350 for a quality pre-amp aned compressor. So my question is this. Should I get the penta for it's pre-amp which is what i really need, or should i save up for the Voiceworks or other quality pre-amp. Does anyone use the penta, and what do you think of it? I am going to use it mainly for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. Will i notice that much of an improvement with the foucsrite Penta's class A pre-amp than the digi's? Is this a economical solution to my pre-amp problem?
Thanks for any input you fellas might have.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 12-11-2001, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Penta/Pre-Amp ?

Say eddie, where did ya see the pentas for that much?

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-11-2001, 02:38 PM

The Guitar cneter here in Chicago on Halstead. They had one for $350 (damaged box) and brand new for $399
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 12-11-2001, 02:48 PM

All the Focusrite gear is great quality. You will definitely hear a remarked difference between the 001 pre's and the afore mentioned Focusrite. 'Sides, if you don't, I believe Gtr Center has a 30 day return policy.

Also check the auction sites (Digibid.com, Sweetwater) for used TL Audio PA-1 and PA-2 dual valve mic pre's. These are 2 channel units that rock, are usually go for about $300 used. We've got 2 of them, and they are excellent.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:18 AM

Focusrite have just released the Platinum Voicetracker which is a single channel channel strip with compressor and eq and tube emulation. It also has a digital out option as well. This unit would be top of my shopping list if I was looking for a mic pre in that price range. The Penta is also excellent in that price range but its a slightly different beast! It retains the mono mic pre but has no eq and incorporates a stereo preset/manual compressor which would come in damm handy for some things!

I use a Mindprint Envoice with SPDIF I/O and I love it's warm sound. It has a solid state mic pre coupled with a tube compressor and I love the fact it doesn't sound too 'tubey' if u know what I mean. But I can get that nice valve kick if I want to simply by adding more tube sat to the output stage.

It sounds great with all my mics and particularly does a good job of fattening up the sound coming from my AKG C3000.

Also check out the Presonus stuff like the VXP and MP20 pres. The TL Audio Fatman etc etc

Alot of choices for the money- Good Luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].