Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Waves are cool in my book. I understand the slight bitterness of DSP users but surely it is long time to move on?
Oh that was so politically correct, wasn't it?

Yes, time to move on. If a company values its "everything" DSP bundle at 10k, makes a promise to support every major platform out there, drops most major DSP platform from their agenda, halves the value of their "everything" bundle to 5k at first and much less as the years have now gone by -- yes you are right, time to move on. Waves-free life is so empowering.

"Slightly bitter" that 10k investment is now worth less than a roll of toilet paper.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh that was so politically correct, wasn't it?

Yes, time to move on. If a company values its "everything" DSP bundle at 10k, makes a promise to support every major platform out there, drops most major DSP platform from their agenda, halves the value of their "everything" bundle to 5k at first and much less as the years have now gone by, yes you are right, time to move on. Waves-free life is so empowering. Slightly bitter that 10k investment is now worth less than a roll of toilet paper.
So Waves breaking promises is sacrilege and grounds for begrudging them for centuries to come, but Avid doing the same will be defended by you time and time and time again.
At least Waves don't penalize you for letting your WUP lapse. They welcome you back with open arms anytime, should you change your salty mind. I kinda appreciate that.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 AM

What is the promise Avid has broken that you are referring to?

Surely you must not mean their 2019.1 release slipping to 2019.3 and then 2019.5 because they do not promise any specific release, those dot-one and dot-three were only rumors confirmed by Avid.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
At least Waves don't penalize you for letting your WUP lapse. They welcome you back with open arms anytime, should you change your salty mind. I kinda appreciate that.
Fair enough. Let's see how many years it takes that I get the idea of re-wupping
Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
What is the promise Avid has broken that you are referring to?

Surely you must not mean their 2019.1 release slipping to 2019.3 and then 2019.5 because they do not promise any specific release, those dot-one and dot-three were only rumors confirmed by Avid.
No, I'm talking about their promise with wich they advertised their move to subscription. That we get more frequent releases in return. That's what they tried to soften the blow with but didn't follow through.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-11-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
No, I'm talking about their promise with wich they advertised their move to subscription. That we get more frequent releases in return. That's what they tried to soften the blow with but didn't follow through.
Taking this year, sure, they dropped the ball. That's almost half a year without a single release (though I understand why they didn't make a half-baked release in first quarter but instead chose to hold on until it is ready). I bet understanding the situation isn't defending them, right?

And they still haven't released the voice upgrade for HDX which I believe will be the "selling" point of next release (before they start working on Catalina compatibility).
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
They kind of have to use all their resources on Catalina. It's coming out. And there are a bunch of audio software developers who have sent out warnings not to upgrade because of issues. This is one more big problem release for audio from Apple.

It isn't about just "new computers."
Yesterday got an email from NI warning not to move to Catalina and an email from Datacolor (they make the Spyder monitor color calibrators) that they're stopping support of some of their earlier h/w due to Catalina. It's interesting that Datacolor doesn't say Apple by name

QAPLA!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's interesting that Datacolor doesn't say Apple by name
Why should they? Apple doesn't make drivers for Datacolor products so it is up to them if they wish to support or not.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:23 AM

What if the new MacPro only works with Catalina? Then audio pros will have to wait for a long time until they can use it, I guess.

Phone +46707773443
Old 09-11-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Why should they? Apple doesn't make drivers for Datacolor products so it is up to them if they wish to support or not.
I understand that but what I am getting at is why didn't Datacolor mention Apple? It's the same for the notice we're getting from NI about not upgrading to Catalina and they DO mention Apple by name. As have a couple of other non-music s/w developers I buy from.

QAPLA!