Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 AM

Default Why do we need BM Ultrastudio?

Hi!
Newbie question coming right up:
We're putting together a small mixing/post suite and I can't seem to get the hang of why we need something like the BlackMagic UltraStudio for our video output. We need a bigger screen that can show video but of course we could just connect it to one of the nMP:s thunderbolt outputs, or the HDMI. So where does something like the UltraStudio come into the picture (intended)?

Is it to give us a more stable output? Lower delay?

(as opposed to make music :/ )
Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Why do we need BM Ultrastudio?

Use the Search function, enter parameters "frame+edge+sync" , confine your search to this forum, and begin reading. Lots of the same information repeated in many of those threads.

Bottom line is sync is consistently tighter when using properly referenced video and audio hardware. In Pro Tools, that means a SyncHD and video hardware (BM, AJA, MojoDX, etc), with a proper tri-level sync generator. Using the method you propose, audio-video sync will wander around plus-minus 1/2 frame, up to a whole video frame. For some people that's good enough. Others of us want more consistent and reliable sync.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 AM

Postman's right. And in addition, you get some benefits like never accidentally moving the mouse pointer over the picture. Clients don't want to see that.

There is a middle-ground with devices like the AJA T-Tap. They're not genlocked, but they do provide a dedicated picture output, and much better sync than extended desktop. Obviously, not as good as a gen-locked system like Postman is talking about.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM

read this set http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ests-part.html

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. I think we'll settle for one of the AJA boxes then, it seems like a good middle ground – plus we can always still have the built-in HDMI attached if we want to use the extended desktop for something else.
Thanks.

(as opposed to make music :/ )
Old 03-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Does anyone know of a device that can output video from PT 11 (like the AJA T-TAP), but can also be daisy chained for a thunderbolt>HDMI adapter?

I want to get a dedicated video output peripheral, but I also use the second monitor as a second screen sometimes, that is connected to my thunderbolt port via an HDMI adapter.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

We use BM Intensity Shuttle USB3 on a Mac Mini.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know of a device that can output video from PT 11 (like the AJA T-TAP), but can also be daisy chained for a thunderbolt>HDMI adapter?

I want to get a dedicated video output peripheral, but I also use the second monitor as a second screen sometimes, that is connected to my thunderbolt port via an HDMI adapter.
Back when I ran the numbers comparing a top-end Mac mini to a bottom-end Mac Pro, I realized it was cheaper to get the Mac Pro, because you could buy the cheaper dead-end Thunderbolt devices to go with its 6-ports. Sorry this doesn't help you.

I seem to remember the AJA I/O XT at $1500 being the cheapest video output device with Thunderbolt through.