Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Help with 5.1 surround sound bounces

Hi I have the 3rd gen Pro Box w/PT 11. Something dealer stated I can use 5 output speaker or so to do Surround Sound Bounces or mix downs. I can only get the Surround Sound effect from the keyboards combonation sound. What is the point of having 5 or 6 speaker out put jacks on the M-Audio Pro Box if it can not do a surround sound bounce? is it possible to connect the 6 outputs 1/4" inch from my Korgsynth to the inputs of my Pro box & get a ss 5.1 mix down? I also heard that Avid offers a HDD or HDX Bundle that has the surround sound 7.1/7.2 Bounce? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Help with 5.1 surround sound bounces

Bounces are independent of physical outputs. Bouncing happens inside the computer. Also note that you are limited by the type of material your software can output - for example, PT can't do surround but PTHD and CPTK can.

The advantage to having multiple outputs (aside from playing back surround material) is having multiple sets of monitors, using send/return effects, etc.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM

ah I see. I also use a external Mackie mixer to direct the L'R inputs to my Mbox Pro. its a non usb mixer but helps me from unplugging 1/4" inch inputs all night. so is what your saying. if i bring the content in & the content (Korg combo sound) is formatted as 5.1 & I use the sends on the Mixer for that Keyboard into the Pro Box 12, 34 Inputs & I add additional monitors I would be able to hear the 5.1/7.1 surround sound sounds as well as record them & the finished bounce would be in surround sound? what speaker system/monitors would I get. would I need a subwoofer. I have 2 alesis M1's already. as i said some combonation sounds in My Korgs after I bounce final mix & play back the bounce on my home ss theater system the ss speakers activate on some sounds. Thanks ver much. I hope I understand you correctly. I just did not get why the Avid 3rd gen Probox had 5 outputs for 5 speakers for surround sound if it/ well protools 11 did not allow me to do a ss bounce/Mixdown Thanks again good day

jc
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Bounces are independent of physical outputs. Bouncing happens inside the computer. Also note that you are limited by the type of material your software can output - for example, PT can't do surround but PTHD and CPTK can.

The advantage to having multiple outputs (aside from playing back surround material) is having multiple sets of monitors, using send/return effects, etc.
BTW I am hearing that there are plugins with a joystick that I could direct sounds to come out of any of the 5 or so surround sound speakers which i will add later. do you know of any plugins that can allow me to do a 5.1 bounce in pro tools 11 with the avid 3rd gen probox? thanks for taking the time & help

kind regards
jc
Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Sounds like you have base line 11 not 11HD
To make 5.0 or 5.1 files you need to be-able to make 5.0/5.1 paths, that is only posable in 11 with the HD license.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2013, 01:33 PM

The reason for the discrepancy is that the Mbox Pro was introduced back when Protools 8 was out. Through Protools 8, 9, and 10, you could use the surround features of the software by using the Complete Production Toolkit. It was only a recent decision to discontinue the Toolkit. Your dealer should have informed you of this.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Thank you all very much. so I'd have to upgrade to pt HD 10.8 then to HDX & even if I did my 3rd gen MBox Pro would have to go as well. so im looking at 4-6 Grand maybe more for the ability to do a surround sound bounce or /mix down. Since my Korg has L/R outputs as well as a 1-4 outputs & some combonation sounds are native surround sound. would I be able to record that combonation sound using the 1-4 out puts on Korg going into the 12/3,4 inputs of the avid mbox pro? Thanks so much. I am chasing for right now an unafortable setup. good day

kind regards
jc
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Sounds like you have base line 11 Me: Yes Pt 11not 11HD
To make 5.0 or 5.1 files you need to be-able to make 5.0/5.1 paths, that is only posable in 11 with the HD license.
Thank you. I thought so. just that the Pro Box has the misleading 5.1 output option. Thank you have a good day
Kind regards
jc

Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post

Thank you, I misread your posts but now I understand (Playback) Have a good one
jc