Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 827
Default Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Sonimus just released their new SSL channel strip, called the Satson channel strip. It's a very cool, very powerful plugin, and it's available right now at the special release price of $69. It's AAX, but not AAX-DSP. No, I don't work for Sonimus, but I am a fan.

One quirk, which I happen to think is especially nice, is that they chose to emulate the buss compressor for use in the channel strip.

Sonimus.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,792
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Hmm .. Cause another SSL CS plugin was what we all needed Baaahh
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 827
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Why not? The Waves version is getting very long in the tooth, and the UAD version requires a lot of HW to run a full console emulation. I have the Brainworx SSL E-channel, and it's good, but head to head I will usually pick the Sonimus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hmm .. Cause another SSL CS plugin was what we all needed Baaahh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,238
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
The Waves version is getting very long in the tooth
Not to diminish in any way the good work of the people from Sonimus (to me Sweetone is irreplaceable and their 1073 is as genuine as it gets) but under what rock exactly have you been living? To me it was not the best time to release an SSL Chanel after Waves unveiled the super monster MixHub. This one might sound as good as Sonimus plugs usually do and I'd make a review with pleasure but I just spent exactly that amount on practically the same.
In any case, the similarity with MixHub might be the reason for the release date, they might have been working on this for a good while and probably didn't want nobody to wrongly think they were trying to copy the idea.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com

Last edited by amagras; 02-12-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,792
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Why not? The Waves version is getting very long in the tooth, and the UAD version requires a lot of HW to run a full console emulation. I have the Brainworx SSL E-channel, and it's good, but head to head I will usually pick the Sonimus.
There are others to mention here aswell:

Softube 4000E
Softube 9000
Slate Digital SSL Emulations
Plugin Alliance has 3 or more
Waves Mixhub
Waves CLA Mixbus

Not to mention all the smaller developers doing great no name emulations so again ... No we really don’t need yet another SSL plugin right now!

And how can you ”usually” pick the Sonimus if they just released it?
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 827
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

I've been a beta tester for several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
There are others to mention here aswell:

Softube 4000E
Softube 9000
Slate Digital SSL Emulations
Plugin Alliance has 3 or more
Waves Mixhub
Waves CLA Mixbus

Not to mention all the smaller developers doing great no name emulations so again ... No we really don’t need yet another SSL plugin right now!

And how can you ”usually” pick the Sonimus if they just released it?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,792
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I've been a beta tester for several months.
Got it

Gonna try it against our SSL 4056 G+ Just because I feel your passion for it and the price is silly low! Maybe we will find a contender to UAD-2 plugins we use all the time when not mixing on the SSL desk.

Thanks Dean
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 827
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Let us know if you like it. It has some unique features that set it apart from most of the SSL Channel strips. First, it emulates the buss compressor rather than the channel compressor. And it is also modular, so you can chain up to 8 modules of the three: Input stage, EQ, and compressor. The GC button lets you use the gain stage essentially as a "Drive" stage. And you change the order of the modules if that's something you like to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Got it

Gonna try it against our SSL 4056 G+ Just because I feel your passion for it and the price is silly low! Maybe we will find a contender to UAD-2 plugins we use all the time when not mixing on the SSL desk.

Thanks Dean
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,792
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Let us know if you like it. It has some unique features that set it apart from most of the SSL Channel strips. First, it emulates the buss compressor rather than the channel compressor. And it is also modular, so you can chain up to 8 modules of the three: Input stage, EQ, and compressor. The GC button lets you use the gain stage essentially as a "Drive" stage. And you change the order of the modules if that's something you like to do.
Absolutely I will. Gonna try it tonight and the more I hear what you say and what other people say I am honestly excited for a plugin for once in a long time. We stopped buying plugins a year ago as the latest count was 522 which is just stupid and dumb. Have been putting that cash into more outboard gear which holds its value somewhat, however every now and then a plugin comes along that we really want to look into so .... Big Thank you for the info and will post back later when the tests are done.

I am pretty sure I will buy the full version straight away instead of demoing and forgetting to remove the demos and then they will crash PT one day
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,603
Default Re: Sonimus SSL Channel strip

... and let us know the moment you have the AAX-DSP on beta, because that's what most of the SSL SC users have been waiting for since Waves dropped the ball
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Channel Strip on 11r derker Eleven Rack 8 04-28-2013 05:37 PM
Channel Strip YYR123 macOS 1 03-02-2013 08:45 PM
Channel Strip Bug UnderTow Windows 2 10-23-2011 08:52 AM
Renaissance channel vs Channel Strip frenchman Tips & Tricks 1 09-20-2003 05:18 AM
Who's using MH Channel Strip?? crowdog 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 5 12-04-2001 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com