Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 error (-9073) HELP

I'm working on Quite a large project in Pro Tools 9 and it keeps quitting after a couple seconds of playback telling me
"DAE cant get audio from the drives fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load (-9073)"
The session had been running fine with all the tracks, then it just started acting up. Ive tried decreasing the track count and mix in stems but even with a basic 12 tracks of drums this message is still appearing after a few seconds of playback.
I'm running on a macbook pro and ive had the drive checked by apple repair shop and they said that the laptop is working fine with no disk problems.
somebody help me please, i'm cracking up.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 error (-9073) HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicsdaddy View Post
I'm working on Quite a large project in Pro Tools 9 and it keeps quitting after a couple seconds of playback telling me
"DAE cant get audio from the drives fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load (-9073)"
The session had been running fine with all the tracks, then it just started acting up. Ive tried decreasing the track count and mix in stems but even with a basic 12 tracks of drums this message is still appearing after a few seconds of playback.
I'm running on a macbook pro and ive had the drive checked by apple repair shop and they said that the laptop is working fine with no disk problems.
somebody help me please, i'm cracking up.
All that getting the drive checked by Apple says that it's working according to their spec, not what PT wants to see. Are you working with just the internal drive or external drives as well? PT doesn't really support working everything off of one drive (the system drive). You really must have at least 2 drives, if not more, particularly if you're working with samplers.

Typical internal Macbook drive is 5400 rpm unless you had the stock drive upgraded to a 7200 rpm drive. The slower drive is an absolute death knell for PT.

You really need to give us more info than you have. Complete computer specs (hardware, OSX version, etc.).

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Hi Jack
heres the spec of my mac book its just a stock set up
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Serial Number (system): W89399647XJ
Hardware UUID: 2701713F-68F6-5157-871C-4E31DD5607BF
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

ive been working off an avid external firewire 400 drive, 7200 rpm. its only with this session im having the problem all other sessions are running fine i'm just wondering if there could be anyway a file in the session could be corrupt and if there was anyway to check for this.
If there is any more info required just let me know
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 PM

All audio or samples and audio? If the latter pulling all that off one drive can cause problems. Also do you have anything else hung off that firewire port (like an audio interface)? It may be running out of bandwidth on the fw buss.

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Its audio samples and midi. There is nothing else running of the firewire connection. I used to run my 003 but haven't been using it in this particular situation.Im using a firewire 800 to 400 cable, could that have anything to do with the problem.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Its audio samples and midi. There is nothing else running of the firewire connection. I used to run my 003 but haven't been using it in this particular situation.Im using a firewire 800 to 400 cable, could that have anything to do with the problem.
Could be - is the drive a fw400 drive? If so get one with fw800 capability and give that a try. Also make sure the drive has the right driver chip in it. Check the Avid site for specs needed.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 AM

Is the drive added to the Spotlight privacy list in the system preferences? If not playback can be compromised by the spotlight indexing when you start playback.

Just a thought .....
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
How many virtual instruments are you using in this session? You said 12 tracks of drums, and "all samples and midi"... so NO Audio, huh? That means if the session is "quite large" then you have a massive amount of Virtual Instruments. right?
I think you are just choking the computer with VI's.

Please note that the suggestions about drives are probably erroneous for the simple reason that you state that this is an isolated session.... that the other sessions are working.
I think the "corruption" may be just too many VI's. Deactivate a bunch of those channels/plugins (not bypass) by cntrl+cmmd+click FW400 to 800 adapter cables are fine, and if what you say is true, that you have an "avid" drive.. its an old one, i think. But, it does have the correct chipset. SB