Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Default removing hum from voiceover tracks

Hi,
I'm recording some voiceovers for an extremely low-budget project. I've recorded most in my house which sound good (recorded using a neuman u87 into an mbox2pro, no processing.) One of the voiceover artists I'm committed to using lives 2500 miles away and isn't really an audio person. Since I didn't have the budget to fly him here, he borrowed a good quality sony condenser mic (that's used the post house he works in--he does chromo and video production) and recorded the voiceovers into his high end camera at 44.1 16 bits. I knew it wouldn't totally match, but since it's a low-budget project, it would be "closer enough for rock and roll" as they say.
Before he recorded all the voiceovers, he did a sample and sent it to me. It sounded good.
But now that he's done and has been editing what he recorded, the files he's sent have a distinct hum in them.
I'm figuring there's something in the cable or something happened in the transfer.

Either way, that's what I'm stuck with.

If the hum is irreparably there, how can I get rid of it? I'm using pro tools 7.4 , I just bought an ilok (which should be arriving in 4-5 days.) I've already experimented with using an expander/eq/gain reduction combo, which works fairly well, but there are still minute pieces of hum in some of the files. Will DINR work better?
ANy suggestions are greatly appreciated....
Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 AM

Default Re: removing hum from voiceover tracks

If you have it, by all means try DINR and see. It's OK but it's getting a bit 'long in the tooth' now.

You're probably going to get better results with more recent dedicated restoration/hum removal software. There's a few on the market that might be worth trying and many offer fully functional time limited demo's. I know Waves have X-Hum and Wavearts have an equivalent.

http://www.wavearts.com/MasterRestoration.html

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Re: removing hum from voiceover tracks

thanks, Phil!

I just downloaded the demo of Master Restoration and it's really really good. I still need to tweak it a bit more (I've come up with a formula where I run through Master Restoration, reduce the gain a bit, run it through the expander/gate and the the 7band eq.) there's still very very very minor hum in parts, but I think if I continue tweaking it, I"ll probably be ok.

BTW--I friend told me that Soundtrack Pro 2 has a powerline hum removal tool--I called up Apple, spoke with techy, who told me that Master Restoration is a better plugin at removing hum....

thanks again,
lisa