Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-23-2020, 04:20 AM

Default click mouse and hold then scroll and solo multiple tracks possible?

This is possible in most DAWs I guess. But not in Pro Tools?
Old 10-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Default Re: click mouse and hold then scroll and solo multiple tracks possible?

Not that I know of, and I've been using Pro Tools since version 6. I have seen it on some other DAW's but actually don't miss it very much.

There are some easy work-arounds for soloing bunches of tracks; Folder Tracks(place similar stuff into a routing folder and when you solo the folder, you get everything IN the folder). Groups, I always have a group of all my drum tracks, and depending on Group Attributes, you can solo the group by soloing any track in the group. Add VCA's(solo a VCA and you hear every track assigned to that VCA).

Beyond that, I tend to not use solo that much. No matter how good something sounds when solo'd, its meaningless if it sounds bad in a mix

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-31-2020, 07:50 AM

Pro Tools' efficiencies are aimed more at keyboard shortcuts than mousing. Selecting the tracks and pressing shift-s is the quickest way to solo a bunch of ungrouped tracks.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Not that I know of, and I've been using Pro Tools since version 6. I have seen it on some other DAW's but actually don't miss it very much.

There are some easy work-arounds for soloing bunches of tracks; Folder Tracks(place similar stuff into a routing folder and when you solo the folder, you get everything IN the folder). Groups, I always have a group of all my drum tracks, and depending on Group Attributes, you can solo the group by soloing any track in the group. Add VCA's(solo a VCA and you hear every track assigned to that VCA).

Beyond that, I tend to not use solo that much. No matter how good something sounds when solo'd, its meaningless if it sounds bad in a mix
Thanks! Im still on an older PT version so I dont have folder tracks. But yes making groups and VCAs I have been doing for years, but its just not as fast:)

Quote:
Pro Tools' efficiencies are aimed more at keyboard shortcuts than mousing. Selecting the tracks and pressing shift-s is the quickest way to solo a bunch of ungrouped tracks.
This is awesome, thank you! It works very quick. I tried to do the same thing and click shift-r for record but it only record enabled one of the tracks. Do you know if there is a likewise approach to record enable multiple ungrouped tracks?
Old 11-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This is awesome, thank you! It works very quick. I tried to do the same thing and click shift-r for record but it only record enabled one of the tracks. Do you know if there is a likewise approach to record enable multiple ungrouped tracks?
OK I just found out how it worked and it only works for audio tracks. Tested first with instrument tracks but didnt work. A bit strange that it doesnt work the same for all tracks