Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Default Offline Bouncing Mono/Stereo plug-ins not accurate on following plug-ins

I have wasted quite a bit of time trying to sort out what I believe is a bug.

My Reverb Aux is typically mono and I typically use a mono/stereo Reverb on the Aux. However, sometimes I will throw another reverb option after that plug-in which, of course, requires a stereo version. This allows me to switch between reverbs and choose what I like best. I only keep one insert active at a time.

I noticed... especially the case with H-Reverb and TL Space (the two I tested) that if it is the plug-in after the mono/stereo plugin, when you do a FTRT bounce, these plug-ins (and likely others) do weird things.

For example, in playback, the H-Reverb will sound perfectly balanced. But if you do a FTRT bounce, the reverb will sound shifted off to the left.

With TL Space (NATIVE), when you do the same thing, it will be half the volume after the FTRT bounce then it is in regular playback.

The crazy thing is that if you use either of these plug-ins as the mono/stereo version, they sound find and then seem to bounce accurate for the FTRT bouncing.

Anyone willing to try this and see if they get weird results too?

I'm running in 88.2K 24 bit, Pro Tools 2018.4.0, HDX, Mac 10.12.6.

I'm concerned that this might be an issue with any plug-ins that follow mono/stereo plug-ins when they are bounced FTRT.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 07-09-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Re: FTRT Bouncing Mono/Stereo plug-ins not accurate

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an "FTRT bounce"? In any case, you really have answered the issue(in a fashion). It would seem (to me) that it would be better to either start with a stereo AUX track(so reverb plugins can operate in "normal' stereo mode, or make both reverb plugins mono/stereo by making the first one inactive before enabling the second, or better yet, use separate mono AUX tracks so that both reverb plugins can be run correctly, and(more importantly) independent(negating the issue you have)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Default Re: FTRT Bouncing Mono/Stereo plug-ins not accurate

Sorry, I assume people know my acronyms FTRT = Faster Than Real Time. I guess I could have said offline bounces to be more clear. (I edited the title of the post now to be more clear)

But you can only make one plug-in mono/stereo on a channel, even if the other plug-ins are inactive.

But regardless, yes, I have found a work around, but if other people are able to replicate it, it should be a bug that is addressed. It probably also means that any time people use a mono/stereo plug-in and then a plug-in after that, it will not render properly on an offline bounce.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Offline Bouncing Mono/Stereo plug-ins not accurate on following plug-ins

It's a bad idea to insert a mono to stereo plugin and deactivate it anyway. I'm not even sure which bounce is the bugged one, the offline or the realtime, as I've had multiple similar occasions where the offline bounce was actually the correct one.

In this case I would make 2 separate auxes with reverbs, you can use the same input so you'll only have 1 send, and just mute the reverb (or deactivate the aux) you eventually don't want to use.