Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Hiding a track Bug?

Before I officially label it as a bug, has anybody experienced an issue where after hiding a track(s), the edit window scrolls to a new position from where you were when hiding the track?

I can be at or near the bottom tracks while in edit, hide a track, and then it will scroll to near the top. It also does this when rearranging track order. It's driving me nutso.

Pro Tools has started doing this ever since I upgraded to 2019.10.0

PT Ultimate 22.7.0 - EuControl 22.4 - Avid Omni - Pro Tools Dock - JBL 705p Monitors - JBL Intonato 24 Monitor Controller
Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Hiding a track Bug?

How are you hiding the tracks? The defacto method is having left sidebar visible and choosing the track to be hidden from there.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 PM

Do you have Eucon and/or a control surface running?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How are you hiding the tracks? The defacto method is having left sidebar visible and choosing the track to be hidden from there.
I almost never hide a track from there. I'll do it right from the track in the edit window. That way I can do a hide & disable if needs be and only have one set of muscle memory to deal with.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Do you have Eucon and/or a control surface running?

I do have Eucon running my PT Dock. I quit Eucon and the issue went away. I don't see a preference that would cause this from within the Dock, any suggestions?

BTW, I have tried hiding my tracks using both methods, from the track list and the way I mentioned in my 1st post. Either way I get the same results.

PT Ultimate 22.7.0 - EuControl 22.4 - Avid Omni - Pro Tools Dock - JBL 705p Monitors - JBL Intonato 24 Monitor Controller
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM

See if it still happens when you deselect "Edit Window Follows Bank Selection" in Pro Tools > Setup > Preferences > Mixing > Controllers

Also curious what your setting is in PT | Control App for "App banks DAW" (it's either on or off).

With "Edit Window Follows Bank Selection" selected, I get Edit Window moving issues when engaging Flip Fader on the S3. But not the first instance of using it - it's very specific. You have to, say, select an insert from the S3, flip fader to control parameters with the faders, flip back; then select an AUX, hit flip fader a second time, and the edit window moves (appears to move to the most recently selected "Scroll To Track," typically the first fader in your currently selected bank on the S3.

BUT - if you move the cursor or selection to a lower track, then back up to the original track, hitting flip fader the second time does NOT cause this issue.

And as implied, if the preference "Edit Window Follows Bank Selection" is deselected, then this doesn't happen at all.

Does any of this apply to what you are doing, hiding a track?

G.

____EDIT: By the way, in PT | Control, I have "App banks DAW" set to OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonso66 View Post
I do have Eucon running my PT Dock. I quit Eucon and the issue went away. I don't see a preference that would cause this from within the Dock, any suggestions?

BTW, I have tried hiding my tracks using both methods, from the track list and the way I mentioned in my 1st post. Either way I get the same results.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 01-17-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
See if it still happens when you deselect "Edit Window Follows Bank Selection" in Pro Tools > Setup > Preferences > Mixing > Controllers
____EDIT: By the way, in PT | Control, I have "App banks DAW" set to OFF.
Yes, if I deselect the Edit Window Follows Bank Selection preference the issue goes away. But I like to have the DAW follow the controller.

This a new issue though, correct? I've worked for quite a while with my current preferences and never had this before.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-18-2020, 11:07 AM

This issue appears to be a bit older, though it's not a track-hiding issue from what I can tell, but instead I suspect a Eucon-communication issue that manifests in different ways.

Certain actions, when that preference is selected, appear to trigger Eucon to "check in" with pro tools (or pro tools to check in with Eucon?) and reset the pro tools screen to the selected bank.

>> For me, the ONLY time I'd want this to happen is when I'm actually physically banking or nudging the controller. <<

But for some reason this behavior is triggered by seemingly random - though perhaps partially associated with visible track organization - actions.

I've noticed it, as detailed above, on the SECOND flip fader command without moving to a different track. You notice when hiding tracks.

Doing a search for "edit window jump" or "edit window scroll" shows users with other triggers (committing a track, for example - which by the way does create an additional track, altering the visible organization).

Some of the searched threads show the solution to be changing that preference as you have.

Others show no to low response without a solution. I wrote to a couple of those to see if (1) they are using Eucon and (2) changing the preference offers a solution.

If this can be narrowed down, maybe we can nudge Avid in a more specific direction to pursue a solution.

I wonder though, if the way it operates now is already a compromise in user-functionality demand, and that there is "no way out".

As I mentioned: >> For me, the ONLY time I'd want this to happen is when I'm actually physically banking or nudging the controller. <<

But there may be others that need it to "scroll to track" for different reasons at specific times, creating triggers that are inconvenient for people like you or me.

Anyway, when or if I get responses, I plan to follow up.

If you or others know of anyone else dealing with jumping edit windows, please let me know.

Thanks,

G.

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Certain actions, when that preference is selected, appear to trigger Eucon to "check in" with pro tools (or pro tools to check in with Eucon?) and reset the pro tools screen to the selected bank.

>> For me, the ONLY time I'd want this to happen is when I'm actually physically banking or nudging the controller. <<

But for some reason this behavior is triggered by seemingly random - though perhaps partially associated with visible track organization - actions.
Random for certain... Today it happened when spotting a SFX clip to a track from a 3rd party app, but then I couldn't make it do it again.

I'm leaning towards a Eucon action trigger as well.