Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
One can hope and optimism is the cure for everything ... except the lack of ADC of course
Whiner.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jino_f_a View Post
Hi,

I think that's the down side of capitalism, companies buying other
to gain more control over the costumers.

I typically solve that by not wearing my costume and eating plenty of fruit snacks...

Digidesign 003R+PT 2020.12.0, Gigabyte GA-Z97X, CPU INTEL i7-4790 4.0Ghz, CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB; ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 PCIe Multiple WD Caviar Black 2Tb Spinner Drives; 1 PPA 80GB 1394 Firewire Oxford 911 PYRO PCI64R2 3 Port Firewire Card (PCIe) Antec 300 case. PSU 600W,
Windows 10 Home.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Open Answer to AVID:

THIS will tip the scales for a lot of user who will also give advice to lot of potential new users on what to buy:

- Unified Pro Tools (no more LE, MP, HD)
- Bug free
- Rocksolid Drivers
- ADC
- scalable Audio Interface (easy exchange of LE, MP and HD Hardware)
- no crippled I/O
- no crippled Options (Satellite, DV, Complete etc. for everyone)

Dear Mr. Avid, please make it happen!!!

yours,
M.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitney View Post
I typically solve that by not wearing my costume and eating plenty of fruit snacks...

I wasn't gonna go there, but they are a wild bunch. Somebody should control them.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitney View Post

Smart man that ddwhitney I tell ya

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM

When can we expect a cs release that addresses the MANY bugs in 8.0.3?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Digidesign, for me, is the brand. Protools is just one of the products...
I've never been that enamored with the Avid name (especially that new logo) and products (FCP for the win!).
Hopefully we'll see some good out of this.
I just hope that Digi... I mean Protools, doesn't go the way Avid has been going lately.

So, do we get little Avid stickers to put over the Digidesign name on our hardware?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jino_f_a View Post
Hi,

As for now, it suck I can't run my PT LE and PT M-Powered on the same computer... So hopefully they're going to solve that

Tanks
Actually you can. You simply have to temporarily move the ProTools (LE) application out of its folder while installing the MP version or vice-versa.
Then you can have both co-existing, and run the one you want depending on which interface you use.

I'm also sad to see the brand that brought us Sound Designer and eventually ProTools disappear. To me it would make a helluva lot more sense for Avid to bow to the Digidesign name. Just my 2 cents of course.

But I REALLY hope that the LE/MP divide will now disappear. How completely ridiculous is it that the Video Toolkit, for example, is available for LE but not for MP!? I bought an interface, forked out for the software, paid even more to get the FULL version (ripoff Music Production Toolkit), but I still CAN'T USE TIMECODE?!?!

I also really really hope, pretty please with a cherry on top, that Avid wakes up to its competition and finally includes ADC in ALL versions of ProTools. I know it's impossible to have offline bouncing under TDM, but there sure is NO reason not to have either ADC or offline bounce in all native versions.

The one thing that TDM still does, and after all these years of computer and technology advances, no is yet able to match, is zero latency monitoring just the way analog record decks used to do it. And that alone gives TDM the advantage over everyone else, and goes a little way towards justifying the GROSS overpricing of these systems and even more so, the plugins. I still can't quite understand why the SAME plugin code costs TWICE as much in TDM form as it does in native form.

But one thing I'm most hoping for, is that Avid will listen to this:
once I've bought my HD7 rig, SYNC IO, four 192 IOs with extra analog cards, ICON console and AVID MOJO, I believe I've paid enough money to expect ABSOLUTELY ALL Avid/Digidesign/Air plugins to function as TDM. What the hell is the thinking in making these RTAS only? I didn't buy 63 DSP chips from you just to watch my computer fall over because its 8-core brain can't cope with a few too many AIR plugins while most of my Core and Accel HD cards are idle, did I?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post
So, do we get little Avid stickers to put over the Digidesign name on our hardware?
As long as they are removable. The Avid-branded line may not work out, and the the Digi version then becomes the thing to have. I can hear it now - "vintage" Digi systems.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty G View Post
To me it would make a helluva lot more sense for Avid to bow to the Digidesign name.
I've seen others express this as well. You have to understand the bigger picture. Avid is the parent company which owns (among others) Avid Video, Pinnacle, Digidesign, etc. It wouldn't make any sense unless Digidesign was the big breadwinner of the company - and it's not even close. It's less than 18%.