Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Can anyone explain this?

This is a difficult issue for me to describe due to my lack of computer know how but I'll give it a try. When placing the start point in a track with my mouse there is a difference in the alignment of that point compared to the Grid. It's only a slight difference and it doesn't matter which edit mode I'm in, grid, slip, spot, shuffle, etc. I've searched the manual for an explanation and possible way to correct this but nothing. Is the nudge feature a possible solution and if so what do I do? I'm on Pro Tools 9.0.6, Win 7, 32 bit.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM

Do I understand that where the cursor drops on the screen is not exactly where the mouse was? Maybe its time to update the graphics driver?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 AM

Thanks albee. I said it was going to be hard for me to explain. If I record a pass in say, Absolute Grid, It doesn't align with the grid lines, quarter, half, sixteenth note lines etc. That's about as good an explanation as I can give. The tracks are all tick based and I usually use the polyphonic algo. If I correct the timing via quantize it sounds ok, but visually it's off. Knowing you are a busy guy, if this is a waste of your valuable time I apologize and I won't be upset if you choose to not dwell on it. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Hey Terry, I think I am still unclear on the issue. Some general stuff to think about: the only reason to use Ticks mode is, if you want to change the tempo and have the audio change too(using Elastic Audio). Is your counter set to Bars[Beats?. Lately, mine has changed(all by itself) to time, all by itself(and time divisions almost never line up with any music).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 AM

Thanks albee. It would appear that I have a total misunderstanding of elastic audio and it's proper uses! I always keep set to bars/beats and If it has changed on it's own as you say yours did, I am unaware. I have always used elastic audio to quantize regions to the grid. Sometimes it works great and others not. in those cases I have to work the clip manually by cut and paste. I find beat detective too time consuming and a bit complicated for my purposes. Anyway, when I record a pass in slip mode with the start point dead on the mark, if I then change to grid,(absolute) the start point isn't lined up anymore! (The first clip recorded in slip mode now leads or lags the original). Am I nit picking and should this not concern me? Also I would like to hear someone, preferably you, further explain the use of elastic audio in the context you stated,(i.e.)"change tempo and have the audio change too". The reference manuals lose me by their constant jumping back and forth referring the reader to pg. x then pg. y then pg.z! Thanks again for your patience.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to convey, which is entirely possible, in Slip Mode there is no guarantee the cursor will land on a definite place at any time and certainly not after you've moved the cursor. If you want the cursor to be in a specific place each time, you must be in Absolute Grid Mode. Being in Bars & Beats or Minutes & Seconds means nothing unless you're in Grid Mode, otherwise the placement of the cursor is free form (excluding Spot Mode).

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks The Weed. That explains my misunderstood use of Slip vs. Grid. I usually try to do everything in Grid mode but, as you know it is sometimes necessary to use slip or one of the others. albee will be happy you cleared this up for me and so am I. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:57 PM

My pleasure.

There is also Relative Grid Mode, but, since I don't use that, I'll defer to the Reference Manual or albee.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Can anyone explain this?

The Weed, I just noticed while scanning this post that I forgot to thank you for your helpful response. I always try to acknowledge these so a belated thank you.