Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2016, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Which Mac Pro 5,1 to buy?

Ive always wanted more processing power out of my 6 core 3.33. I'd def buy a 12core now if I was to do it again.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
Ive always wanted more processing power out of my 6 core 3.33. I'd def buy a 12core now if I was to do it again.
I just wish Apple had allowed having two of those 3.33 GHz cpu's in a dual cpu machine. IIRC they didn't allow it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM

http://www.ipowerresale.com/buy/mac-...-core-westmere

here it is ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
Thanks. I thought originally Apple didn't have a BTO with dual 3.33 cpu's? Guess I remember wrong (which happens at my age )

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM

i have wrestled with this decision since I purchased my PT 10/11/12 perpetual license in december.

But I just cant bring myself to invest $1700 in a 2010 used Mac Pro that will never support thunderbolt and is built with what is now 6 year technology and parts with a 90 day warranty. Or a 2012 Mac Pro for additional $700. If I want more than a 90 day warrenty add another $297 for a grand total of $2697.
That is for a base unit with 16Ghz DDR3 Ram & 1TB 7200rpm HHD.
Start adding more RAM , SDD’s and other upgrades….Well how fat is wallet?

As good as the Mac Pro 5.1 are. They are still limited to what the 4-6 year old mother board will support in the future.

I decided on going with a custom built hackentosh PC built using the newest generation motherboards ,processors and DDR4 -Ram & SDD’s. All new components with a 2 year parts /1year labor warranty that can support 4k graphic cards thunderbolt 2,0. and what ever new technologies that are developed in the near future,

As much as loved my Apple products in past.
Apple focus as a company has changed from building the very best computers & OS’s in the world.
To now building computers and OS aimed directly at consumers to integrate & sync their iphone, ipod, ipad, iwatch
( Which you should buy at least one new one every year)
The Mac OS is now platform for promoting itunes, Icloud ,Apple pay, Apple TV, Apple music and the App store..
The reality is new computer sales generate less than 10% of Apples annual revenue today. The number of new mac pros sold today is pretty insignificant in the big picture.

Today Avids focus is no longer on providing the best DAW for users at all levels anymore. But now is on high end studios & production houses that buy large HD systems & S6 consoles.
Avid’s priority is switching all users from top pros to mid level and home studios to subscription and support plans that generate a never ending revenue stream and with planed obsolescence built in.

I never thought I would ever stop using Apple computers or Protools.
I loved them both at one time and saw myself as a loyal customer for life.
But both companies have pretty much left me no other option.

Like a lot folks I will be switching to Cubase or Studio One (probably both) and run them on a PC. I will have a drive on my computer dedicated Protools.
But I am making a deliberate move to phase Mac & PT out of my work flow.
For good.

Remember when Motorola & Blackberry dominated the cell phone market? Compaq, Gateway computers, AOL , MySpace, RCA ,Zenith, Eastern,
PanAM & TWA airlines?

I am sure that Apple will survive. But Avid and Protools may one day be a part of the above list.

Buy and use what works & makes you happy.

But I personally am going to buy from companies that offer excellent products, service & value their long term customers.

YMMV
TWM

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoundie View Post
Cant say if all the posts have made me think clearer or has put me in more of a dilemma. Can the people recommending the 12 core tell me why they are saying so?

I dont really need a very low buffer size as its not very crucial to my workflow. I am never recording live and only performing sound edits and a little bit of mixing. Also, the 12 core 3.33 rig is too far out of my budget and the max I will be able to go for is the 2.66.
I bought the last tower, just when they were phasing them out when the trash cans came into play. I bought a 12 core Westmere. Since PT11 is now 64bit and can finally see and utilize all cores.

Here's my analogy on the 6 vs 12.
Think of it as a 6 cylinder 333hp car vs a 12 cylinder 266hp car.
The 6 can be pretty fast and quick and get you through turns..BUT that 12 cylinder can pull and get you through the toughest uphill battles with out breaking a sweat, with massive amount of torque. Torque being the ram, since PT11 can now see and use more than 3GB, I installed 40GB. And my system purrs.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM

So I made the purchase, after consulting you guys and some of my work friends, it was the 2.93 ghz 12 core with 24gb ram. Along with it I also bought a highpoint rocketraid 620 so I can put my 2x 2TB internal hdd's to work at 6gb/s raid, the macpro on its own can only support 3gb/s. Additionally I also bought a usb 3.0 pcie 4 port card to add usb 3 support. Theres also a 480gb ssd on which my OS and applications live.

I just got it about an hour ago and gonna hook it up and post some after purchase thoughts, please let me guys if you want specific hardware tests, I am not running avid hd hardware and will be running PT 10.3.8 primarily with a bit of PT11.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM

be aware that RAID's are not compatible with Pro Tools .. or if they are i have never heard it .. maybe someone is doing it .. but i highly doubt it .. a PCIe SSD Card running at 6/gbs is the only way i know to get that to work ..

but i will be happy to stand corrected if someone chimes in ..

good deal on your purchase .. not sure why the 2.93 .. would log to hear your reasoning ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoundie View Post
So I made the purchase, after consulting you guys and some of my work friends, it was the 2.93 ghz 12 core with 24gb ram. Along with it I also bought a highpoint rocketraid 620 so I can put my 2x 2TB internal hdd's to work at 6gb/s raid, the macpro on its own can only support 3gb/s. Additionally I also bought a usb 3.0 pcie 4 port card to add usb 3 support. Theres also a 480gb ssd on which my OS and applications live.

I just got it about an hour ago and gonna hook it up and post some after purchase thoughts, please let me guys if you want specific hardware tests, I am not running avid hd hardware and will be running PT 10.3.8 primarily with a bit of PT11.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-02-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
be aware that RAID's are not compatible with Pro Tools .. or if they are i have never heard it .. maybe someone is doing it .. but i highly doubt it .. a PCIe SSD Card running at 6/gbs is the only way i know to get that to work ..

but i will be happy to stand corrected if someone chimes in ..

good deal on your purchase .. not sure why the 2.93 .. would log to hear your reasoning ..

cheers john
I do remember hearing something about RAID configs and PT but can't remember if it's hardware or software RAIDS that are a no-no. Darryl - you out there?

QAPLA!