Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Jumping from 6.1 to 7.1

Thanks in advance for any help on this:

I am about to join the world of PT LE but I'm unsure of the steps for installing. I own 6.1 (purchased from someone else) and have a new Intel Mac. Do I first load 6.1 on the computer, then download 7.0 from the Avid site, then add in the 7.1 update? And how do I integrate them all? Do I open 6.1 even though it doesn't run on Intel Mac? These may seem like simplistic questions, but to me it seems a bit confusing because it involves utilizing an older version that doesn't work on my computer, and then upgrading it twice.

I appreciate any guidance you can offer ('cause, Lord knows, the rest of the DD website doesn't offer much help -- what a labyrinth).
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Jumping from 6.1 to 7.1

first uninstall the old, then install the 7.0 version, and as a last step, upgrade to the newest.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Actually, unless the 7.0 download is different than the Windows one in it's set up, you should be able to skip the entire 6.x versions (So, don't bother with 6.1's disc at all) because the 7.0 (atleast on Windows) is like starting from scratch.

Otherwise, you'd have to keep downloading the updates in between, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling again... because they feed upon one another. Try the 7.0 set up first (Assuming you have a working 7.0 serial (which I believe is different than 6.x versions)) Then 7.1, or 7.1.1 for Intel Macs.

Hey, and if I'm wrong and they actually did make the Mac set up for 7.0 different THAT MUCH than the Windows one, you've got nothing to lose. Atleast you'll already have the 7.0 downloaded, and if it doesn't install like I think it should, then you can use 6.1 and upgrade from there without any problems anyhow. Just thinking you'll have alot less time to go through if you can cut out the middle crap as much as possible.

Oh, and either way, once you have any version installed, you don't NEED to open the program before updating it. It's installed, you did your job. Uninstall and restart, then install the update/upgrade, and that's it. You have to do this with any new upgrade they bring out, normally.

BUT, if and when you download the cs updates (look down in my signature, "7.1cs8" is an example of what I'm referring to in case you're wondering, since you're new to it all), you DO NOT uninstall before running a cs update. It simply adds into your version hand in hand.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Avid

You can install 7.0 directly, then download and install the update to 7.1cs8. You will not need to uninstall 7.0 when updating to 7.1cs8.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:55 AM

I think you will find that the entry level for intel is 7.1.1
Then update to 7.1.1cs1 (this is the latest version available for the intel)
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM

I am in a similar situation but for the life of me cannot find a 7.0 download on the site. Do I have to go buy the disc from GC or something? I was without a computer for quite some time and was using 6.4 as my last version. I now have a new intel MacBook and need to start from scratch, get 7.0 then 7.1.1.

Any help/links would be appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 PM

My thanks to all for your generous help. And, PK_Hat, the 7.0 dl is at the Avid site. For some reason, DD don't have their online store up and running. But there is a link there to the Avidstore where you can dl 7.0. Then go back to DD for the Intel add-ons.
That's what I'm about to do now.