Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: OT: Free website for 3 years...

Thanks Roy! I just signed up, and I'm waiting for that email so I can go play with my new toys...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:23 PM

Yep, took a couple of hours, but it's all a go, i'm in, I have several ftp accounts set up already.

500 meg of disk space - per account with 5gb transfer a month - you could transfer a consolidated session, to get some overdubs, or a project mixed by another engineer.

We'll see how fast it all is once it's up and running, I'm gonna let a session upload tonight when I go to bed.

David
Old 01-14-2004, 09:28 PM

Hi!
I got mine all done (almost )

Did the pin thing, took closer to an hour than the 1/2 hour they said on the page after PIN confirm.

I then did a new domain, since I was going to do this anyway
As a bonus, the $5.99 "no strings attached" domain reg is actually a great deal (average price for same "NSA" domain reg {new} was around $35+).

I am now waiting to the approval of the reg of domain name, and about to start moving files onto the new host. Since the free package (and even the basic paid accounts) carry a 6G traffic cap, and since this space is limited to 500M, keeping my old host, and going to use this one as the "front" for my "i9 project." Since www.i9.com was taken by some company (Image Nine), I picked www.i9project.com instead.

Once I have time to get things done, I'll post back here

So far so good, VERY cool find. If I could find either..
A great DSL package with enough bandwidth to run a game server (or two)..
or
A good $110 or less dedicated server package with a powerful enough server, AND high enough bandwidth/traffic per month allocated, I'd go with that instead. Already dropping $70 a month for this (game server and nintheye.com). For the extra $40, I'd lease out some incredible package deals for a few close friends and family. Love those linux servers!

BTW- why aren't there many server leasing places using Mac OS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 PM

Listen, be sure to read the final email about where to set up your ftp account, and you'll be fine. Do NOT follow the $5.99 Domain name path unless that's what you want to do. You'll end of on the 'Will that be Visa or Mastercard?' page... You can always do that later too.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yep, took a couple of hours, but it's all a go, i'm in, I have several ftp accounts set up already.

500 meg of disk space - per account with 5gb transfer a month - you could transfer a consolidated session, to get some overdubs, or a project mixed by another engineer.
Sweet! The main reason this gets me excited is that I've got a friend about 1000 miles away who I've been trying to do a music project with, but file size has been a problem through email. MP3s are great for trading ideas, but this is what we need for assembling the real songs! And it's free, woo hoo!

Good opportunity as well. I know just about zilch as far as building web sites and such, this will be a good chance to learn on someone else's dime. I can't wait to start filling my pages with hundreds of animated .gifs and MIDI files that you can't turn off!!! I'll need to come up with a good eye-searing background that clashes with the text, too... So many great ideas...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Now Kevin, carefull, less is more, even in the graphics world !!

Rest of group - update - $5.99 / year is a smoking deal on domain registration, I just grabbed www.kingfishproduction.com (name of my production company... I am the king of fish... don't ask)
and this deal on webspace is stellar.

A TOAST....... TO ROY.....
David
Old 01-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Hi!
Yeah- please be careful with the traffic limit.
I have been unable to find info as to FTP allowance, and whether or not total transfer allowance applies to BOTH web and FTP. Typically, I was under the assumption that web traffic utilized a bit more system draw (in addition to bandwidth) than true FTP used. I have had web hosts that "unlimited ftp use" with a 2G-40G WEB traffic limit.

If FTP does not have the constraints of the traffic allowance, then simply using the "extra" 4 ftp accounts available with this package would allow a good amount of session exchanging every month without incurring *penalties* for exceeding the limit. Obviously, doing so via web (by using an upload script, or simply downloading large sessions) would hit that limit of 5G pretty easily.

Yep- once again- loving the $5.99/year, no setup for domain names. Waiting for the next 24 for it to become available, and then another 24 (or less...I hope) for it to go thru is killin me! Wanna have it NOW!!! lol...

Another toast!!! To Roy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:31 AM

got mine working: http://s94191085.onlinehome.us/

have to think of a name. think i'll get one for the triplets too...
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 AM

geez i cant seem to get mine to work

this is supposed to be the address http://s94109960.onlinehome.us

but when i go there its blank

when i access the ftp theres a bunch of files there already.. should i delete all those first? im thinking because theres one up there named index (where did that come from) already that its defaulting to that page... and for some reason the one thats up there is blank (when i try to open it from within the ftp)

i also ordered http://thefarmrecording.com

how come theres no WWW. before it? that kinda blows.

heres where i put up my temporary site.. its really just a template that im using to show somebody who knows what they are doing

http://thefarmrecording.tripod.com

this is great.. thanks for telling us about it.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Same story here. Waiting on the confirm email.
I entered my pin# several hours ago.
Maybe we overwhelmed them...
[QUOTE]
"Please check your mailbox for another e-mail containing the information to log on to your Professional Package configuration in the Control Panel." [QUOTE]

I'm still waiting 16+ hours later for this "step 4" email in order to set up my account. I set up two accounts and have recieved nothing yet. Are others undergoing the same wait?