Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Default PC vs Mac

For PT's audio and video what one PC or Mac is better in your opinion and why.My friend just told me that Mac's crash less then PC.?
I run a PC on PT's 10 seems to work fine
Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Re: PC vs Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
For PT's audio and video what one PC or Mac is better in your opinion and why.My friend just told me that Mac's crash less then PC.?
I run a PC on PT's 10 seems to work fine
If your system works fine, don't touch it.

Personally I always had a tough time with PCs. Mac OS was always easier for me to deal with.

I don't think either is better, I just think it comes down to which OS you better understand and are able to solve issues with.

Just my two cents.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

thanks Ron
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM

I switched from Mac to PC a couple years ago, and things have been running smoothly since then. PT 10 was throwing up all kinds of errors on my MBP, and so I needed some more horsepower. Back then, the Mac Pros were old tech and it wasn't clear that Apple planned to keep that line alive. In terms of bang for your buck, I think PC is definitely the way to go ... especially if you feel like building your own using the guidance from the i7 Builds thread here.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 AM

I use Macs and PCs but for PT it has always been (self build) PCs and they have worked better/faster than Macs for me. Most of the problems I have had are due to PT being buggy plus many PT features were developed years ago and have not been brought to work in modern computing systems with loads of memory, cores, fast disks etc.

Waiting for Ubuntu version of PT
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 AM

I've been Mac-only since 2002 and have never regretted the choice.

As far as PT is concerned, they are better supported. That is because there are less system configurations and all the system configurations are well known and the specs don't alternate that much. So it is very much easier for Avid to support Apple computers than PC's.

For example, if you say you have a "Quad 2009 Mac Pro" it is already well known that these are the specs.

Simplicity works.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Good comments above. Both platforms work pretty well with PTools - just gimme a mouse !!! It seems to me, though, that Mac OS updates "breaks" PTools compatibility more often than does Windows. Windows 7 works with PTools 8, 9, 10, and 11. Try that with the various Mac OS versions.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 AM

As mentioned, a properly specced PC is better bang-for-the-buck and runs Pro Tools just fine and just as well as a Mac. The PC I just had built would have cost me a third to half again what a comparable Mac would have. I also prefer Windows far more than I do OS X. And I also agree with EGS. Apple brings out new hardware and new OS updates that "break" compatibility with Pro Tools, lately on a seemingly regular and increasing basis. As someone mentioned in another thread, Apple has its own audio and video programs, so why should they be concerned with third party issues and hurry to solve them or take them into account when preparing updates.

All that said, use what your budget allows and what you're comfortable with, not what someone else prefers or insists is the only thing you should be using.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM

thank you for your info

Last edited by mikeyman; 03-10-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM

I'm using a custom built mac pro with OSX 10.8.5, that also runs win 7 pro 64, an HP Z800 dual quad core @3.0 GHz, 12 Gig of RAM.

Pro Tools runs fine on both OS, but I still like the audio performance in OSX rather than Windows. For video editing, Media Composer in Windows is my way to go.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins