How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Boom Recording

Hi everyone,

I am VERY new to Pro Tools. Im a singer who just wants to sing...so I figured I'd try to learn pro tools so I can create a place to put it all together.

My question (after a fiasco installing my Pro Tools EXpress) is: I am trying to record the Boom VI.

Currently I:

Open a new session
Add a stereo Instrument track (I/O -Bus1-2)
Add Boom

Add stereo Audio track (I/O - Bus 1-2)
Enable recording

Record with my record/play bar...

Nothing.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Boom Recording

#1-saying "(I/O -Bus1-2)" is misleading. Is the INPUT set to Bus1-2, or the OUTPUT? Same question for the AUDIO track. Not trying to be funny or insulting, but since I know nothing of your experience, be aware that many newbies don't understand IO or signal flow.

Back to BOOM, this plugin is NOT a drummer substitute. Its a "beat box: for hip-hop and rap. For me, BOOM has always been odd to use and I usually create a pattern on the dot matrix in the plugin(hit the PLAY button inside the plugin to hear the pattern). Then I set the Instrument track Output to a stereo bus, create a stereo AUDIO track. Set the AUDIO tracks' input the the same bus, enable record and print a few bars of the pattern. Then I chop it(in GRID mode) on even bars and repeat(Alt-R) or duplicate it(Alt-D). If you want what sounds like a regular drummer and kit, look into Addictive Drums. While there are other options, this plugin ticks all the boxes and can often be bought on sale for $99(and at that price, its amazing). Check out some youtube videos on ANY plugin you are curious about, or want to learn

BTW, being "just a singer that wants to sing" won't get you very far with any DAW. Either you need to learn(and there is a lot to learn) or pay for someone else's skills

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 PM

Boom does not "auto play" you have to click the play button on Boom. Thats why it will not record. Don't know why they made it like this but they did. Funny how every other "beat box" plays but Boom doesnt....
Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM

albee has it correct...

go from Boom instrument track out to input of a stereo bus. Go from output of stereo bus to input of AUDIO track.

Put audio track into record mode. Press play on Boom. record boom.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7