How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Default New user and new install 11Rack and Pro Tools

Greetings:
First time posting so be kind. I'm trying to find my way with my new Eleven Rack and Protools 10. Here is what I am trying to do. Small home studio to make music to go with my underwater videos. I have a Dell Precision T3500 with a Xeon processor at 2.93MHz, 4 GB Ram, Win 7 64 bit. So I think I am OK with computer power. 11 rack is installed and working in "live" mode, meaning I can play my guitar through it to my amp and it works. USB connection to the PC is recognized, but I am still working on learning the Pro Tools interface. PT can communicate with the 11R since I can see the 11R settings on the PC and I can change the 11R setting from the PC.

Here is where I am not sure. I also have an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card in the box, which I am not really using. The computer has no other sound card. I was under the impression the 11R could act as a USB sound "card" of sorts. Am I incorrect on this? If not is it possible to use the 1010 as the sound output to speakers so I can hear playback?

I currently have the 11R main outputs (XLR) plugged in to two inputs on my Alesis mixer board, which then goes to a PA amp and speakers, I had hoped to use this for playback. I can hear my guitar through the mixer/PA amp/Speakers although one channel is a bit distorted (could be cable). I also would like to play CDs or movies from the PC but right now there is no sound from the PC. This makes me thing the 11R can't do the PC sound "card" thing.

Ultimately, I will also have my midi keyboard, drum machine and midi effects in the mix, but we need to get the basics squared away first.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pete
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Re: New user and new install 11Rack and Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwagner View Post

Here is where I am not sure. I also have an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card in the box, which I am not really using. The computer has no other sound card. I was under the impression the 11R could act as a USB sound "card" of sorts. Am I incorrect on this? If not is it possible to use the 1010 as the sound output to speakers so I can hear playback?
Yes, it is completely possible to do both.

& your computer has no way of knowing unless you tell it.

To tell a Windows PC, you go into control panel. Go into "Hardware & Sounds" (imagine that).

Under the heading "Sound" there is an option "Manage audio devices"

It should be self explanatory from there. Actually, your version of Windows 7 is slightly different from what I just explained. You might actually have to think.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Greetings:
First time posting so be kind. I'm trying to find my way with my new Eleven Rack and Protools 10. Here is what I am trying to do. Small home studio to make music to go with my underwater videos. I have a Dell Precision T3500 with a Xeon processor at 2.93MHz, 4 GB Ram, Win 7 64 bit. So I think I am OK with computer power. 11 rack is installed and working in "live" mode, meaning I can play my guitar through it to my amp and it works. USB connection to the PC is recognized, but I am still working on learning the Pro Tools interface. PT can communicate with the 11R since I can see the 11R settings on the PC and I can change the 11R setting from the PC.

I currently have the 11R main outputs (XLR) plugged in to two inputs on my Alesis mixer board, which then goes to a PA amp and speakers, I had hoped to use this for playback. I can hear my guitar through the mixer/PA amp/Speakers although one channel is a bit distorted (could be cable). I also would like to play CDs or movies from the PC but right now there is no sound from the PC. This makes me thing the 11R can't do the PC sound "card" thing.

Ultimately, I will also have my midi keyboard, drum machine and midi effects in the mix, but we need to get the basics squared away first.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pete
The Eleven Rack is a USB audio interface, it can do all this and more, if properly set up.

Did you install the device drivers for the Eleven Rack? What exact ones? Did you follow the exact instructions? Full details on your computer system... Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page. What exact version of Pro Tools do you have? What is the playback engine set to?

The documentation for the Eleven Rack is very good. You need to open the manual and read. If getting started like this is stumping you then you are likely to miss many of the wonderful capabilities of the Eleven Rack.

Darryl
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Ah yes I can see how this is going. Well I guess I should have mentioned that I did install all the appropriate drivers and I did read through the manual and I did read that post and I did try a search of the forum and the Avid Knowledge Base. My computer sound definition is directed at the Eleven Rack. My Pro Tools version is 10.3.5. Not sure what other information you need about my PC than what I already gave in my original post. Video card perhaps? Maybe I should have mentioned I know a few things about computers (been working with them for 20 years), guitars and sound equipment the parts I don't know about are the Eleven Rack and Pro Tools which is why I can here to pick the brains of those who do. is that not what a forum is for? I will go back and reread the manual and recheck all my settings, again.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Ah yes I can see how this is going. Well I guess I should have mentioned that I did install all the appropriate drivers and I did read through the manual and I did read that post and I did try a search of the forum and the Avid Knowledge Base. My computer sound definition is directed at the Eleven Rack. My Pro Tools version is 10.3.5. Not sure what other information you need about my PC than what I already gave in my original post. Video card perhaps? Maybe I should have mentioned I know a few things about computers (been working with them for 20 years), guitars and sound equipment the parts I don't know about are the Eleven Rack and Pro Tools which is why I can here to pick the brains of those who do. is that not what a forum is for? I will go back and reread the manual and recheck all my settings, again.
Please answer all the questions I asked. Including what exact driver... If you are on Windows post a Sandra report as well. If you don't provide info we cannot guess. Please post a screen shot of your playback engine dialog.

I don't know what you mean by "computer sound definition is directed at". It is what the Pro Tools playback engine is set to that matters.

Start Pro Tools. Hold down "N" at the spash screen until you get the playback engine dialog. Select Eleven Rack in the playback engine pulldown. If that option does not show up there the most likely problem is improperly/not installed driver, a bad USB cable, or things like not properly optimized on this computer and power management (or the user) having suspended the PC in the past with the ER connected... which will hang up the driver. Did you do all the optimizations for you OS version? Including disabling power management and USB power management? (details are all listed under that "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page).

Have a slow read of the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page and the links under that. Saying you've done blah.. helps a lot less than "I installed version 1.0.5 of foo, following the directions in the manual." Precise info helps because many of these issues are product compatibility matrix type things.

Darryl