Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Question Elastic Audio on Multi-Miced Electric Guitars... PLEASE HELP!!!

I started using elastic audio the day it came out and won't ever use beat detective again for tempo correction on drums... I LOVE IT! However, recently on my HD 2 system I've noticed when I try and manipulate a multi-miced guitar i'm getting phasing issues like crazy... The thing that's driving me crazy is I have all 3 mics grouped, I'm using the Polyphonic Algorithm and this method works perfectly on drums and other multi-miced sources as far as I have come across... (of course using the rhythmic algorithm on drums)...

Anyone else have any issues with MULTI-Miced guitar amps? These guitar parts in particular happen to be very overdriven. I used an SM57, an AKG Solidtube and a Sennheiser E609 to mic a Vox AC15 HTV amp.

If I left anything out or you want to know more about my setup let me know.

All help is greatly appreciated!

God Bless,

David Glenn
Spiritwalk Productions
http://www.myspace.com/azmythrecording
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2009, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio on Multi-Miced Electric Guitars... PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey David, I'll experiment tomorrow, but I can see, with as "Constant, and Saturated" an electric guitar is, if EA is doing ANYTHING different to the algorithm on one of the other tracks, I can imaging the phasing, quite intense.

I'd actually play with "Rhythmic" mode for these grouped guitars, as this mode really applies a series of Crossfades, and doesn't "Process" or Alter the audio.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM

It's also VERY important that you create an edit group to keep phase coherency when using EA, be it Drums or Guitars. Try that and see if it helps.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglennjr View Post
I started using elastic audio the day it came out and won't ever use beat detective again for tempo correction on drums... I LOVE IT! However, recently on my HD 2 system I've noticed when I try and manipulate a multi-miced guitar i'm getting phasing issues like crazy... The thing that's driving me crazy is I have all 3 mics grouped, I'm using the Polyphonic Algorithm and this method works perfectly on drums and other multi-miced sources as far as I have come across... (of course using the rhythmic algorithm on drums)...

Anyone else have any issues with MULTI-Miced guitar amps? These guitar parts in particular happen to be very overdriven. I used an SM57, an AKG Solidtube and a Sennheiser E609 to mic a Vox AC15 HTV amp.

If I left anything out or you want to know more about my setup let me know.

All help is greatly appreciated!

God Bless,

David Glenn
Spiritwalk Productions
http://www.myspace.com/azmythrecording
[email protected]
As Kingfish said Poly and Rhythmic operate in different ways. Poly will stretch audio more whereas Rhythmic operates more Beatdetectivy (new adjective) Take a tom(or any other drum with longish tail) and try both stretching to +400% and see what happens.

What happens if you use the Mono algo

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM

personally I don't think it works well for multi mic'd drums either.

But the way I do it is I go through and eliminate all the *analysis* markers and drop them in by hand across the group as a whole. I don't trust the way it puts in analysis markers on some tracks but not others, or at different points in the waveform. I've had the best sound (less phasing) this way, but you have to be very careful about watching out for funny attacks. Of course, with guitars.... if you didn't track a DI and they're distorted you're pretty much SOL b/c trying to figure out where the analysis markers (and subsequent warps) go will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM

I use EA on multi-tracked drums all the time. It works really well for me. I am currently working on a session where the drummer played a Kick a little early, fixed it in no time flat and no artifacts. If the drummer is good, pocketing is REALLY easy with it.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 AM

Cool Re: Elastic Audio on Multi-Miced Electric Guitars... PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks so much for the replies!

I'll be back on the project where this became a big issue tomorrow/well today... I'm going to give it a whirl using the rhythmic algorithm.

Has anyone been using EA for multimiced guitars successfully?

A side note... I also recorded the DI signal from the guitar and have Eleven... I LOVE IT!!! So worst case scenario I would Elastic Audio those tracks and either send them back out to the amps or use Eleven... BUT! it would be less time consuming if Elastic Audio would work on the miced guitars...

Thanks again!

David Glenn
SpiritWalk Productions/Azmyth Recording Studios
[email protected]
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Hey David, I'll experiment tomorrow, but I can see, with as "Constant, and Saturated" an electric guitar is, if EA is doing ANYTHING different to the algorithm on one of the other tracks, I can imaging the phasing, quite intense.

I'd actually play with "Rhythmic" mode for these grouped guitars, as this mode really applies a series of Crossfades, and doesn't "Process" or Alter the audio.
Thanks! I'm going to give Rhythmic a try later today. You know what... I just recalled a session I did with guitars and I did use rhythmic!!! it worked great for tightening up 2 guitarists palm muting... However, I don't think they were multimiced and they were definitely overdubbed at seperate times so a little different scenario... I'll let you know how it goes tonight.

God Bless,

David Glenn
Old 05-08-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
It's also VERY important that you create an edit group to keep phase coherency when using EA, be it Drums or Guitars. Try that and see if it helps.
Thanks for the response... I guess I could've been clearer in the original post, but the guitars are grouped into an edit/mix group with all appropriate attributes assigned.

Have you had any luck using EA on multi-miced guitars?

Thanks again,

David Glenn
Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
As Kingfish said Poly and Rhythmic operate in different ways. Poly will stretch audio more whereas Rhythmic operates more Beatdetectivy (new adjective) Take a tom(or any other drum with longish tail) and try both stretching to +400% and see what happens.

What happens if you use the Mono algo
I guess I should have had a better engineering thought process to not restrict myself to the algorithms that are recommended by digi :)

I will definitely give it a test run here soon and let you know if any of the other algorithms work in my situation...

Thanks and God Bless,

David Glenn